Natural Alternative to Propalyn (Phenyl Propanolamine Hydrochloride)

by Peggy
(Greater Toronto Area)

Our 14 year old Yellow Lab Sasha is responding well to the treatment you had suggested regarding her angry open wound (dog wart).

We have also had her on Propalin twice a day. She is having issues with leaking. The vet put her on Propalin some time ago, but the bottle is just about empty. We have had such great success with your holistic remedies, I'm wondering if you can recommend an alternative to the Propalin? The Propalin helps, but isn't completely cleaning up the leaking. She also seem to be drinking a lot more than usual. The urine smells very very strong. We think she might have developed Diabetes?

Any thoughts? Again, for the most part - she is in amazing shape. Eyesight and hearing starting to go a little, and the Huge mass on her right hip keeps growing - but her appetite and general demeanour are awesome!

Comments for Natural Alternative to Propalyn (Phenyl Propanolamine Hydrochloride)

My Online Vet Response for: Natural Alternative to Propalyn (Phenyl Propanolamine Hydrochloride)

August 18, 2014

Hi Peggy,
If Sasha's problem is only urinary incontinence, the drug Propalyn, (Proin in the USA), is very effective for this condition.

Since it is not controlling the problem, then I am concerned that Sasha may have some other condition that is causing her symptoms. You mentioned diabetes, which will cause excessive thirst and urination, also Cushing's Disease, and kidney or liver disease will also cause these symptoms.

A urinalysis will diagnose diabetes and kidney disease. A blood test is necessary to see if she has Cushings' or liver disease. You should start by taking a urine sample to your veterinarian. If it is normal, then she will need a blood test to rule out other problems. If all of that is OK, then come back and we can work out some homeopathic remedies, or a Chinese herb.