Nasal growth in my dog

by Scott
(Long Valley, NJ, USA)

My 3 yr old border collie/lab mix has developed a growth in her nose. The growth is mostly soft. She frequently "snores" because of it, and at times has some mucous-like discharge from the nostril that is not impacted by the growth.

There has never been any bloody discharge, and there is no growth outside on the skin. It started out small and grew, sometimes changing in size and shape.

She's been to two different vet hospitals, had x-rays, blood tests and all seem to lead to a benign growth.

Her eating habits have not changed whatsoever, she is not sick, will still chew on bones, cookies, etc. We can't afford the next steps, which we've been told are a CT scan, biopsy, surgery, radiation, etc. ($4-6,000) and are wondering if there are any homeopathic or other remedies that we can try that will at least help shrink this "thing" to make her more comfortable.

She's such a happy, loving dog and it's really hard to see her like this.

Incidentally, the canine tooth that is on the same side as the growth has become discolored.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments for Nasal growth in my dog

My Online Vet Response for Nasal Growth in my Dog

Hi Scott,
Yes, I believe that your dog can be helped with homeopathy. Since she is only three years old and has developed a chronic pathology at such a young age, it will require an in-depth consultation with a holistic veterinarian (see our page on alternative medicine for dogs).

There is no 'quick' fix for her, but start with NO more vaccinations. If a Rabies Vaccination is due, ask the holistic veterinarian to write a Rabies Exemption Form for her.

Also, providing a healthy, wholesome diet, preferable a RAW dog food diet would be ideal. NO DRY FOOD. See our page on the 10 Best Dog Food Options for additional recommendations.

Add Omega 3 fish oil for dogs, about 1,000mg two times daily to her food to provide nourishment to the mucous membranes in her nasal passages.

Also, start her on Immuplex from Standard Process, one capsule opened and sprinkled into her food two times daily.

Another good supplement she may need is called OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder. Order the 225 gm size, and give her 1/3 tsp per day, increase up to two times daily if her stool is ok. (In some cases high doses of Vitamin C for dogs, even if it is buffered, can cause some loose stool.)

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Thank you
by: Scott

Dr. Tillman,
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm going to begin this for my dog today!
Regards,
Scott

My Online Vet Response for Nasal Growth in my dog

Hi Scott,
Good luck. Also, just to be thorough on ruling out possible causes for this growth or swelling, did you have them check for fungal infection? Fungus such as Coccidioides immitis, (cause of Canine Valley Fever, although that would not be too likely in New Jersey!), but Histoplasmosis, or Blastomycosis might also cause an unexplained swelling in the nasal area.

Thanks again
by: Scott

Dr. Tillman,
Thanks so much for reaching back out to me. It means a lot.

They have not ruled out fungal, and mentioned aspergillosis. I'm told that a CT scan is required to determine that. I'm thinking maybe a biopsy.

She presents with no sores on her body, and she still eats like a champ and isn't loosing weight. She's not happy though.

Our next step is to head down to Red Bank, NJ where they have a very reputable animal hospital. I just fear that they will say.. for a mere $6,000, we can remove it. That's quite a bit of $$.

Hoping that a dietary change will at least give her some relief. Thank you again so much..
Regards,
Scott

My Online Vet Response for Nasal Growth in Dog

Hi Scott,
Why not seek out a holistic veterinarian? If a fungal infection is a possibility, then perhaps a trial course of 'holistic' anti-fungal treatment, along with the diet change, immune supplements, and supportive care may help? (And NO vaccinations!)

Keep us posted.