My lab's entire body is red

by Tammy
(Maryland, USA)

My dog is lethargic and her entire body is red.

I took her to the vet last week for itching and hair loss. They put her on prednisone and cephalexin.

Last night she vomited the whole night, and this morning she had a red rash on her stomach and face. She also had diarrhea that looked like gold jelly.

I took her to the vet again and they gave her a shot of benadryl and a shot of prednisone. They thought it might be an allergic reaction to the cephalexin.

She has been home now for about 7 hours and her rash has now taken over her whole body. She is extremely red and is just lying around almost unresponsive. I am very concerned.

I called the vet and they told me to give her more benadryl and if the rash was still bad in the morning to bring her back in.

What could be causing this rash? She is not itching at all.

Comments for My lab's entire body is red

My Online Vet Response for My lab's entire body is red

Hi Tammy,
What you are describing may be an anaphylactic reaction to either the prednisone and/or the cephalexin. This is very serious and requires emergency treatment with intravenous fluids, NO MORE prednisone and NO MORE or antibiotics.

If you are near Bethesda, Maryland, there is an excellent Holistic veterinarian, Dr. Monique Maniet. She is the President of the Academy of Veterinary Homeopahthy.

Unfortunately, this is Saturday evening, and I do not know if you would be able to contact her over the weekend. Her clinic is called Veterinary Holistic Care and her website is here: www.vhcdoc.com

If you are not close to her office, click here to find holistic veterinarian in your area:

To treat your lab homeopathically requires on site examination. This involves a check of the gum color, capillary refill time, the body temperature, odor of the breath, her level of consciousness, listening to her heart and lungs, feeling of her pulse, and if the skin is hot or cold and clammy. These symptoms would determine the best homeopathic remedy to give.

Passing diarrhea that is like gold jelly indicates colitis, and may be a precursor to Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis. And she would need the intravenous fluids to stabilize her condition. If she starts to vomit, you must get her to a veterinarian ASAP!!

Update on Marlin
by: Tammy

Marlin stopped vomiting after that first night and her diarrhea is gone. She is still red, but otherwise appears normal. Thank you for your help.

Question about the labs rash

What did it end up being because my lab has the same thing on her belly and down her hind legs?

My Pitbull Puppy looks similar to the pictures you posted.
by: Camryn

my puppy riley's rash almost looks identical to your labs. it started on her stomach and escalated to her legs and her lower back. hair loss, itching excessively, and bright red on her stomach. i dont know what to do she is completely lethargic and also like your lab has the golden colored feces. please tell me what finally worked for your lab i would be so grateful for your help.

camryn