My Dog Hank's Poor Eyes

About 2 1/2 weeks ago I brought my 16 week (at the time) lab/Shepard pup to his vet with what looked like droopy red eyelids. The vet prescribed 5ml of Maitrol eye drops to be administered twice daily in both eyes.

Presently one eye has cleared up almost completely but the other has been good some days and bad others.. some days good at times but bad later... and his eyes have what look like really thick tears always in the corner of his eyes... like where tears come out (I always clean them away).

He also has giardia and he was prescribed some white powder that I put in his food ... and then some pills that I had to feed him 3 times a day (I can't remember the names of them ).

All of his shots are up to date and he is a big healthy boy.. 37 lbs and on Preformatrin Ultra puppy food. He eats fine.

He doesn't rub his eyes and it doesn't seem to really bother him.

Thanks for your help.

Comments for My Dog Hank's Poor Eyes

My Online Vet Response for My Dog Hank's Poor Eyes

Hello,
Your photos of Hank show that he has what is called 'ectropion'. This is a condition where the eyelids are 'everted' or droop outward. It is a congenital condition, meaning he was born with it.

Some breeds of dogs, such as Bloodhounds, Basset Hounds and other hound breeds have it normally. Since he is a German Shepherd mixed with a Lab (and not a hound breed), this may be a condition that will become less pronounced as he gets older.

At this time, with the droopy eyelids, he is more susceptible to dust, dirt, or pollen accumulating in his eyes. Therefore, his eyes will tend to water or tear more often, and collect in the lower lids. This may also be irritating and cause some conjunctivitis.

The drops that your veterinarian prescribed helped with the inflammation, temporarily. Basically, you will need to use saline solution to flush or rinse his lower lids several times a day. After rinsing, you can drop in 2-3 drops of (high in Vitamin A and the oil will help to provide some protection and lubrication to his cornea).

It would also be healthier for Hank to be fed a moist diet, NOT an all dry puppy food. Adding in some raw meat to his diet would be even better. Check out our page on 10 Best Dog food options for additional information.

Be very cautious about continuing to give him any more vaccinations. As a puppy with parasites and a congenital birth condition, I would not consider Hank to be very healthy. Certainly, you can have his stool rechecked 2 weeks after the de-worming to make sure he is negative for Giardia, and any other parasites. And hopefully, his eyes will become more 'normal' as he gets older. But you may wish to consult with a holistic veterinarian regarding homeopathic treatments, to ensure he will be healthy as he grows up.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: