My Cats Odd Behavior

by Nicole
(North Andover, MA, USA)

My neighbors got a cat about 1 year ago, as a kitten, who befriended my 10 year old cat. They are always together in the yard, never apart.

Last night my neighbor's cat got hit by a car, and my cat disappeared. We found him hours later under a bush curled up. This is very odd for him because he normally comes running when we call his name.

All day today he has done nothing but sleep in my closet, even when we pick him up, he just gets down and goes back to the same spot. He's not eating, and barely responding to us petting him, and he is normally very cuddly. Now he is not even lifting his head, but still purring.

Could he be traumatized? I am worried that he witnessed the other cat get hit by the car. What should I do?

Comments for My Cats Odd Behavior

My Online Vet Response to My Cat's Odd Behavior
by: Carol Jean Tillman DVM

Hi Nicole,
It may be that your cat has also been hit by a car. While animals do have emotional responses such as grief, and sadness, I would first take your cat to a veterinarian for x-rays and a blood panel to check for internal bleeding, diaphragmatic hernia, or other internal injuries.

While I usually advise going to a holistic veterinarian for most illnesses, in this case I would just go to the closest vet!

You can find your closest open (emergency) veterinarian in the "Emergency Veterinary Hospitals" box here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Cat Questions Section