My Cats Have Gone Off Their Food

by Sarah - Registered Cat Breeder
(United Kingdom)

In the last two months I have started feeding my cats days old chicks (not live I might add) as part of their raw combo diet. Every cat I have absolutely loved these tasty morsels and all of them seemed exceptionally hungry all the time.

Then for no apparent reason they seem to start being sick and throwing up a greasy yellow bile and going completely off their food for just over a week. I have managed to coax them back to normalish eating patterns by offering cooked chicken and top quality kibble and finally seem back on track.

This happens around the time of season change summer into autumn and winter into spring every year and I wonder... is it a bit of a case of cat S.A.D. disorder or do they just need to rest and cleanse out their systems with a bit of a detox once in awhile?

Can you please recommend a homeopathic remedy to help the appetite pick back up? Even thougj I am not at all worried about the majority of my adult cats, I have one mum who is nursing 3 week old kittens and is barely eating at all at the moment and I would like to aide her back to her normal healthy appetite ASAP.

Many Thanks,
Sarah UK - registered cat breeder

Comments for My Cats Have Gone Off Their Food

My Online Vet Response for: My Cats Have Gone off their food

Hi Sarah,
It sounds like you may have been feeding the cats day old chicks EVERY day, and this was too much and too rich. I suggest you resume the raw combo diet, and only feed the cats the day old chicks TWO times per week.

I am not sure why this would occur at the changing of the seasons. As far as I know, cats are not susceptible to SAD (Seasonally Affective Disorder) Syndrome. They do occasionally need to 'cleanse' or detox their systems. But this should last only 24 hours, not one week.

As for a specific homeopathic remedy, without knowing any other symptoms besides the lack of appetite, the only remedy that might fit would be Nux vomica, 6c or 12c, diluted in water, succussed (shaken or stirred) 20 times and give with an eye dropper every 3-4 hours. Best option would be to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, to take the whole case and ALL symptoms to choose the most appropriate remedy.

For your mother cat that is not eating and nursing 3 week old kittens, she should be seen by a veterinarian, holistic or conventional, for abdominal x-rays and blood panel to rule out retained placenta, pyometra, an unborn fetus or other problem.

Hello Dr Tillman,

Many Thanks.

I have a very good relationship with my own conventional vet and wish to continue with this. I need to add here in the UK vet services are very very expensive particularly the Homeopathic vet.

I found this site and felt that by signing up to a subscription three cat inquiries per month would suit my needs. I hope that's ok as your advice so far has been excellent and I wish to carry on with this.

I had this site recommended by one of my owners and I have done the same to other cat breeders so we may have both access to our conventional vets back home and advice from this site for our holistic needs. :-)

As there was a delay in my question being posted I had to act on my own homeopathic research and had given Nux vomica n a 200c dose direct into their water bowls. This has worked a treat no more sickness and I believe the appetite came back of its own accord :)

With my nursing Mum I gave her Sepia 200c into water and direct from Pippette I did this twice the first day then I put a 30c strength direct into her water supply and this also has worked a treat appetite is back to normal and kittens are thriving.

I have read some books by George Mcleod (Not sure of the spelling) and he recommends to hit it High on the 200c or lm potency then drop down low. I have followed this method several times on different occasions and had good results. As with the above.

I do hope you understand I wish to carry on with your advice and this service. Many Thanks, Sarah

My Online Vet Response for: My Cats Have Gone Off Their Food

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your comments... we're happy to help.

For your last comment, regarding the remedies you used, it sounds like Nux vomica 200c was the correct choice, as was Sepia 200c for the nursing mum! Dr. George MacLeod was a very well know veterinary homeopath, and wrote some excellent books for using homeopathy on animals.

As for the choice of potency, it depends on the vital force of the patient, and if the situation is acute/severe or chronic. High potency would be for a patient with a strong vital force in an acute situation.

I usually do not drop down in potency until the situation is starting to improve, and the patient is responding. Then, just decrease the frequency of repeating the remedy. Each individual and each situation is unique, it just depends on the response of the patient.

Please continue to keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms

by: Sarah

Hi Just an update
the appetite loss seems just to be one of those seasonal things. I have however cut back on Chicks and the cats only have them on the weekend now :-)
The mother cat raised her kittens perfectly after I gave her Sepia her appetite resumed and all was well again.
Thanks for emailing me asking for an update