Multiple Tumors in Dog's Liver

by Macy
(Tucson, AZ)

My dog had a mast cell tumor two years ago, I had it removed with clean margins and it hasn't returned . However, she has 17 other tumors all have been aspirated and show non cancerous or non mast cell tumors. She recently stopped eating and is more tired and also urine incontinate.

We went to an oncologist who did an ultrasound and found several tumors/masses on her liver. We also did a blood test at our holistic vet who found her ALT and ALPK very hig.

My question is - what can I give her to help with her indigestion?

It seems like she wants to eat but her stomach is upset and she burps and a very little bit of vomit comes up. What can I give her to help with her stomach that won't hurt her liver?

Her kidneys are fine - everything else is fine. Just her liver. I have been feeding her boiled organic chicken and rice, also trying Honest Kitchens chicken grain free, Stella and chewys freeze dried rabbit and their chicken formula, primal a freeze dried chicken, Etta says chicken liver treats and freeze dried chicken. I'm trying everything I can to get food in her.

Her water intake is ok right now. I know I'm losing her but I don't want to put her to sleep when she's bright and alert.

She is a 10 year old shar-pei red nose pit mix.

Please help. My holistic vet is closed till Tuesday.

Comments for Multiple Tumors in Dog's Liver

My Online Vet Response for: Multiple Tumors in Dog's Liver

August 30, 2014

Hi Macy,
This breed is very tough, with a big spirit and will to live! For the weekend, the goal is to just offer her mostly liquids, with only a small amount of boiled chicken, chicken or turkey baby food. See if you can get her to eat at least 500-600 calories per day. That is enough for a 40 lbs dog. If she is nauseous, I would NOT try to get any dog food into her. Just keep it simple. If she will tolerate some rice or white potato in the baby food, that would be ok. Or maybe some scrambled egg whites.

Make sure she does not have a fever. Normal dog temperature is 101-102 F. If it is over 103 degrees, it will cause a decrease in appetite.

Her high liver enzymes are probably contributing to the nausea that she is feeling. If she will hold down liquids/soft food, this will prevent dehydration. She should also have some B-12/B-vitamin injections. I am not sure if there are any conventional vet clinics open this Labor Day weekend. But some B-12 injections may help to perk up her appetite and provide the vitamins that her liver is not producing. A veterinarian can send you home with 4-5 syringes with the B-12/B-vitamins mixed up, for you to give to her at home, once a day.

Your holistic veterinarian probably has her on milk thistle, (an herb to repair liver tissue),and Hepatrophin (from Standard Process) that provides support for a healthy liver. Perhaps some Thuya, (Thuja occidentalis) a homeopathic remedy for tumors. But at this time, it would be best to avoid supplements, and just make sure she is holding down liquids and some protein.