Multiple Lesions Inside Dog's Cheeks and Above Gums

by David
(UK)

My golden retriever has had these small nodules or growths, starting like vesicles and progressing into nodules on his inside cheeks (immediately above gums, and on the philtrum).

We noticed these about 10 days ago. They have started appearing on his lower jaw yesterday.
They are not growing, some may be regressing, others growing but none have disappeared yet.

He is 4.5 year old, very fit, runs a lot, normal weight, very lively etc. Vet recommends observation and biopsy if things get worse, but I am concerned as he has already had 2 full anaesthetics this year (broken tooth on lower mandible).

Thanks !

Comments for Multiple Lesions Inside Dog's Cheeks and Above Gums

My Online Vet Response For: Multiple Lesions Inside Dog's Cheeks and Above Gums

November 21, 2013

Hi David,
Your Golden Retriever has some interesting lesions. The lesions seem to be at the mucogingival junction or above and also on the philtrum. My initial impression was that he had an auto-immune condition such as pemphigus foliceous, or mucous membrane pemphigoid. But these lesions are not so 'organized' and are usually on the 'mucocutaneous junction'.

And considering the philtrum acts to bring moisture from the mouth up to the nose to keep the nose pad moist, (a moist surface is better picking up odor particles than a dry surface), he may have picked up some infectious virus, either on his nose or in his mouth which then spread.

Or he is being exposed to something causing a mild allergic reaction, in food or the environment, or possibly due to effect of a vaccination, causing 'vaccinosis'.

My suggestion would be to locate a holistic veterinarian. Treatment with homeopathic remedies do not rely on a *diagnosis* but on the symptoms of the patient. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

In the meantime, providing support to his immune system would improve his health and perhaps speed his recovery and healing.

And make sure his diet is healthy and includes the least amount of dry food possible. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. And consider a RAW diet for him.