Mole-Like Bump on Dog's Lower Mouth Area

by Sheri
(NYC)

About 3 weeks ago our dog Truffle had a very little pink "pimple" near her lower left lip. It didn't look like anything to be concerned with.

In the last few weeks it has grown a lot! It now looks like a large mole. It's probably quadrupled in size.

It is pink with red spots. It's the size of an 1/8 in round bb. Though it is a little irregular in shape. It reminds me of a human skin tag in a way.

I wasn't alarmed until this past week. She's due for her yearly so I'll be taking her in next week. Unless this is serious. :( obviously worried. She is my first dog as an adult.

Her history: Truffle, a French Bulldog, she has always been very healthy. We have had her since she was 9 weeks old. She is a little over 2 now. We live in NYC and she's exposed to a lot of EVERYTHING! Lol

No issues until she was almost 2. She got an infection in her nasal folds. That was because I didn't know how to thoroughly clean her face. I know now!

4 months after that she got a skin infection because she had a little cut on the back of her foot from scratching her back feet after she uses the bathroom. It's on concrete and she does it too hard sometimes.

She got an antibiotic shot both times, she's been given malaket shampoo to wash the affected areas with 2 times daily when there's a problem then apply mupirocin 2% ointment after being washed. She's responded very well to this treatment.

The nasal fold issue cleared up right away. I clean her folds out with non scented baby wipes daily or every other day.

The skin infection- she had little crusty bumps around her mid section that would weep then bleed- (the most recent issue) responded very well. I did notice 2 months after her treatment she had 2 more very little ones that never bleed.

I cleaned them with the shampoo and put the ointment on right away.

I always check her feet to make sure there are no cuts. If there are I clean it when we get home. I like to learn from my mistakes. Especially if it means I can avoid her getting sick by taking extra precautions.

I got a new couch within the last 2 months. I wipe her feet down with unscientific baby wipes after every walk. I would think that would be healthy for her since less of the NYC sidewalks are on her feet.

She has had some of the typical Frenchie issues. Sensitive tummy. We feed her wellness simple ingredients. Always the lamb or salmon formula. She has no issues with the food.

I started giving her angel eye chicken flavor. I think they say to give to high too high of a dose because she ended up getting slight diarrhea. That has gotten in check and she's been fine.

She also developed some hot spots on her front left leg. She was scratching that leg with her back leg a lot until the fur was worn at some spots. This was after her skin infection, but around the time I saw the 2 little spots a few months later.

I immediately started to wash it with the malaket shampoo and alternating hydrocortisone ointment and the mupirocin. I did that a little sporadically over 2 weeks and it cleared up and hasn't been a problem since (yay!)

The newest developments in the home have been the couch- she sleeps on a lot. I did treat it with stain resistant spray. And she sleeps where the radiator is (on the windowsill) all the time. I think that's actually may be affecting her eyes. She's much more teary than she has been in months.

I hope that is enough info. Please let me know ASAP if this is serious or if she can wait for her normal appointment.

Thank you!
Truffle's mom

Comments for Mole-Like Bump on Dog's Lower Mouth Area

Bump on Dog's Lower Mouth Area
by: Dr. Lisa Brienen

"My Online Vet Response to: Mole-Like Bump on Dog's Lower Mouth Area” by Dr. Lisa Brienen

Dear Sheri, Thank you for sharing such a detailed history about Truffle, your cute Frenchie. There are a couple of possibilities for this nodule – a sebaceous or follicular cyst (most likely and benign – not bad), a histiocytoma (benign tumor that goes away on its own), or another kind of tumor. To get a precise diagnosis, your veterinarian may want to take a fine needle aspirate – or they may be comfortable taking a look and saying it’s most likely nothing to worry about.

If it is benign and you’d like to see if it might go away – you can try a single dose of homeopathic Thuja 30C from your health food store. You can place 2-3 pellets of the remedy into your dog’s mouth. Or the pellets may be mixed into some water on a spoon and tipped into her mouth. There are other remedy options for skin growths and you may want to consult a holistic veterinarian for further help regarding this nodule and options to Truffles occasional skin irritations and problems.

Regarding Angel Eyes, this is an antibiotic. I am uncomfortable with long term antibiotic use in terms of developing antibiotic resistance and depleting natural body defenses in the digestive system and elsewhere. A non-systemic, topical and effective option is to use Eye Envy. The website and product is easy to find on the internet.

Sincerely, Dr. Lisa Brienen