Milky Pinkish-Whitish Halfway Up Dog Eye

by Cindy

Midnight suddenly has a milky/pinkish whitish film halfway up her left eye. Cataracts? Third Eyelid Prolapse? Pressure on optic nerve?

This condition appeared after she had a stomach sickness due, we believe, to her raiding the trashcan which was full of turkey garbage (skin, fat, etc.). That sickness lasted for about 36 hours in which she would not eat or drink.

Then her appetite came back and she was her old self - running around, barking at the mail lady, excited to see her family. In fact, she is demonstrating no pain or discomfort. She just looks like she has a droopy eye.

She is 11 years old, in good health otherwise, not overweight. There is no discharge from the eye.

Comments for Milky Pinkish-Whitish Halfway Up Dog Eye

My Online Vet Response for: Milky Pinkish-whitish Halfway Up Dog Eye

Hi Cindy,
From the photo you sent, it looks like Midnight may have Horner's syndrome. Your photo is not close enough for me to see if her pupil is dilated or constricted. But I can tell that her lower lid is droopy and her third eyelid is raised.

Horner's syndrome is a condition that is caused by an interruption in the autonomic nerve supply going to the eye. The pathway of the nerves extend from the head, down the neck and through the chest.

It may have been triggered by her gastro-enteritis when she got into the garbage. But more likely causes may be a tumor in her chest or neck. There is also a 'spontaneous' Horner's syndrome which can resolve by itself in 4-6 weeks.

In the meantime, I advise that you seek the help of an ophthalmologist to confirm this diagnosis. Then find a holistic veterinarian for follow-up treatment, depending on the diagnosis.

Another possibility is that she may have a facial nerve paralysis, if her upper Left lip and Left ear are also drooping. I cannot tell that from the photo.

Much Better

Midnight's eye is almost completely better. You can still notice a slight bit of discoloration, but hardly at all, and if you didn't know the history of the condition, I doubt it would be noticeable at all! Took about 4 months to resolve.

My Online Vet Response for: Milky Pinkish-Whitish Halfway Up Dog Eye

April 21, 2013
Hi Cindy,
Thank you so much for the update on Midnight. That is wonderful to hear that she is back to normal.

Did you get a diagnosis? I was not sure from the photo if she had Horner's Syndrome or a facial nerve paralysis.

Not Sure
by: Cindy

I am not sure what it was; probably not Horner's since it resolved. Midnight is 12 years old, and I know she is in her "golden years," so I did not want to do anything too invasive or aggressive (like surgery). I knew she was not suffering. She just looked odd!

Sometimes I think it's just good to allow the body to heal. I did not take her to any vets. I did read several articles on this site, and they were quite helpful. This is a wonderful service to pet owners.