Milkly Yellowish Dog Eye Discharge / Infection

by Courtney
(Minnesota, USA)

discharge in corner and wetness on outer eyelashes

pink third eyelid?

Yesterday morning (9:30 AM) I noticed my 3 year old mini dachshund had a little more discharge in her left eye than normal. It was just a little bit in the corner of her left eye and nothing excessive.

Throughout the day yesterday I cleared it out about 5 times, never an excessive amount but it turned into a more yellowish color as the day went on. There was no redness or swelling or itching at it.

Today we woke up and there was even more discharge that is a milky yellowish color, and her right eye started to do it now too-less than the left eye, though. There is now some redness (not bright red, just a bit pink), still no swelling, but she has been scratching at her eye quite a bit.

The third eyelid is also showing, not covering her whole eye or anything, just showing in the corner and it is a greyish color with a hint of pink. No swelling though. She is also just laying around and not playing, but she also acts like that when "daddy" is at work all day so it's hard to tell if she's laying around because she's sick or because he is gone.

The first photo was yesterday before it got pink, and the rest are from today. I can't get her to the vet until tomorrow around 4:00 PM, that's over 24 hours from now, will she be ok until then?

Comments for Milkly Yellowish Dog Eye Discharge / Infection

My Online Vet Response for: Milky Yellowish Dog Eye Discharge/Infection

Hi Courtney,
From the photos you sent, it appears that your mini-Dachsund has some mild conjunctivitis. She will be fine for the next few days until you can get her in for an exam.

Conjunctivitis can be due to allergies, bacterial or viral infection. Or appear after receiving a vaccination.

You can make her feel better by using a saline rinse into both eyes, three times daily, to flush out the yellow discharge that is accumulating. You can make saline by adding 1 tsp Sea Salt to 1 cup of Spring Water. Put it into a plastic bottle with a pointed 'nozzle' and squirt it into the inner corner of her eye.

This is the easiest way to flush her eyes. You may need to wrap her body in a towel to keep her front feet from coming up to push you away.

After the saline flush, you can apply 1-2 drops of Sweet Almond oil into each eye, to help calm the conjunctiva.

You might consider seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to take a look at her. In some cases there are more underlying issues at hand that can appear as 'diseases' that produce a discharge.