Mast cell tumor on dog's ear - Vet wants to remove entire ear

by dml
(CT)

My 7 year old pointer was recently diagnosed with a mast cell tumor on her ear. Two years ago she had a mast cell tumor removed from her side. It was Stage II with clean margins.

My vet is recommending removal of the tumor which I know is the right treatment. They are recommending removal of her whole ear. Can they remove only a portion of the ear or does the whole ear have to be removed?

Is there anything else I can be doing from a dietary standpoint (supplement or food) to help prevent these in the future?

I currently feed her a grain-free diet, alternating between Taste of the Wild and Pinnacle.

Comments for Mast cell tumor on dog's ear - Vet wants to remove entire ear

My Online Vet Response for Mast cell tumor on dog's ear-Vet wants to remove entire ear

Hi DML,
"They are recommending removal of her whole ear. Can they remove only a portion of the ear or does the whole ear have to be removed?"

No, they DO NOT have to remove the entire ear! From the photo you submitted of a tumor that appears to be approximately 1/3 inch in diameter, I would advise only 'wide margins' to remove this tumor, and attempt to close the wound surgically if possible.

It may need to heal as 'second intention', where it is treated as an open wound, and allowed to form a scab and granulate in. Using laser surgery to remove it may be the best option. That way more cells along the margin will be destroyed, compared to using a scalpel. Laser surgery also numbs the area more, and 'cauterizes' blood vessels more thoroughly, so there is less pain AND less bleeding.

To prevent future mast cell tumors, you will need to stop all vaccinations!

Find a holistic veterinarian in your area that will help with an exemption form to exempt her from any more vaccinations. And also consider treating her with homeopathic remedies, that may even work to shrink this tumor and avoid surgery.

Feeding a raw diet would be the healthiest. See our page on the 10 Best dog food options.

Avoiding toxic flea and tick products, would be imperative to keeping her healthy. See our page on natural dog flea/tick treatment.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:
find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Also, try
AVH.org for a veterinarian knowledgeable in homeopathy.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Just had Surgery

My 4 year old lab just had her mast cell tumor removed from her ear. We paid an extra 155.00 to have it sent to pathology to see if the margins are clear of cancer. Total cost was 475.00. I feel that was reasonable and we need to know if all the cancer from the ear was removed. We have not seen her ear yet. The vet said he did not have to make a permanent hole, however, her ear has a small crimp. Surgery went well and she could not wait to get home. She ate and drank right after getting home. The vet said she would probably vomit if she did this because of the anesthesia. So far no vomiting. She ate about 3 hours ago. She has antibiotics and pain meds for four days. We are glad to have her back. She is a bit restless but I hope the pain pill will take care of that. She tried to poop (did not poop prior to op) but only had a scant of diarrhea.

My Online Vet Response for: Mast cell tumor on dog's ear-Vet wants to remove entire ear

December 5, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am glad your 4 year old Lab recovered well from the surgery, and the entire mass was removed with clean margins.

From a holistic point of view, I always worry that surgery to remove a growth or tumor, may sometimes trigger the body to form *new* growths. As this 'exteriorization' is the body's way of getting rid of 'toxins' that have formed secondary to vaccinations, poor diet, genetics or other variables. Treating the patient holistically, with a RAW diet, minimal vaccinations, and homeopathic remedies when a growth or tumor appears, is more likely to result in a permanent treatment, with NO recurrence of growths or tumors, than by doing surgery.