Mammary tumor in 10 yr old, unspayed female sheltie-mix - Holistic Treatment Options

by Jacqueline
(Monmouth NJ)

Mammary Tumor

Mammary Tumor

My dog, Daisy, had a mammary tumor which first appeared about 2 years ago, acorn sized. She just came through heat a few weeks ago, and the tumor has suddenly gotten larger and is black & red and bulbous looking, measures about 2' x 1'3/4 x 3/4' high.

She also has a red crusty slight discharge at nipple which is adjoining it. Daisy is very difficult for any vet to examine, that is why I am contacting you first....does this look like a malignant tumor? Can you recommend any options other than surgery as she is very resistant to sedation?

Comments for Mammary tumor in 10 yr old, unspayed female sheltie-mix - Holistic Treatment Options

Online Response to Mammary tumor in Unspayed Female Sheltie

Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for the photo of Daisy's tumor. It is very difficult to tell by looking at a mammary tumor if it is malignant or benign. But since Daisy's tumor has been there for 2 years without much change, I do not think hers is very malignant. The effect of female hormones will contribute to the growth of the mammary tumor. So it is not surprising that you noticed a change in the appearance after her recent heat.

I would suggest finding a holistic veterinarian in your area, especially one that is knowledgeable in homeopathy. Check our site for veterinarians that belong to the AVH, to guide you in Daisy's treatment. The veterinarian will discuss her diet, and switching her to a healthy raw diet, caution against giving her any more vaccinations, (ever), avoiding flea treatments, etc.

Please keep us posted (and ask me any related questions) by clicking the "click here to add your own comments" link below.

Dr. Tillman

DISCLAIMER: This educational advice is based on the depth of your question and the picture you submitted. The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."

My Online Vet Response to Mammary tumor in Unspayed Female Sheltie

Hi Jacqueline,

Daisy is very difficult for any vet to examine, that is why I am contacting you first....does this look like a malignant tumor? Can you recommend any options other than surgery as she is very resistant to sedation?
--------------------------------------------------

In my previous answer I advised contacting a homeopathic veterinarian. Because using only homeopathy as a treatment, will not involve sedation or anesthesia. Since Daisy's tumor has only recently started to change, (due to the female hormones from her recent estrus cycle), I do not think that it is malignant.The only sure way to know would be to do a needle biopsy. There are pros and cons of doing a biopsy.

Number one, you would find out if the tissue sampled shows any malignant cells. Although, since you are only obtaining a very small sample through the needle, you could also miss the tumor and collect normal subcutaneous or fat tissue.

Depending on Daisy's temperament, she may need a mild tranquilizer just to do a biopsy. But even if she did tolerate it without a tranquilizer, some holistic veterinarians are concerned that introducing a needle into the tumor may cause more irritation and inflammation to an already inflamed area, and may cause it to grow more.

Therefore, a holistic approach would be the best in this case. Using homeopathy, involves the gradual, and slow action of a homeopathic remedy, to stimulate the vital force for improving Daisy's health, and start shrinking the tumor. Of course, you will also need to improve her diet, avoid vaccinations, toxic flea treatments, etc.

I hope this clarifies my answer a little more.
Keep us posted.

Dr. Tillman

Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
Dog Warts,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Thank you Dr Tillman
by: Jacqueline

Thank you very much for your answer to my inquiry. Daisy is a much loved dog, I will definitely keep you posted. I will be consulting a homeopathic vet as you you suggested, in addition to my own vet. Thank you again for your prompt and thorough response.
Sincerely,
Jacqueline

Mammary tumor
by: linda

I was wondering if any other canines with mammary tumors have had water blister like growths on tumors in or around time of heat. I was shocked the first time I saw one. I could get even close enough to look after I touched it, she treated like i did my nose after breaking it. Nobody getting close. Anyway she must of broke it, probably going through dogie door. I would like any comments from fellow sufferers. My dachshund 13yrs.old Spaying isn't an option,and its sad it seems never ending between heat times. I was also curious about home remedies in relief of swelling and discomfort. Mine she has seemed to found relief in icepack. I wish there was one fitted for her nipple, probably is! Thanks for sharing.

To Linda
by: Administrator

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your submission. Our veterinarians are only able to respond to questions for subscribers to My Online Vet.

For more information, please see our My Online Vet page.

Jeff