Malnourished Dog with Scabs on Back

by Pamela C.
(San Juan, TX)

My new dog is malnourished and has scabs on her back. She doesn't seem to be upset about them and doesn't scratch them. I wanted to get expert advice on what this might be before I head to the veterinary office.

I was in the market for buying a pug. I came across this one and didn't have the heart to not buy her. Even though I knew it would be costly to purchase her I did it anyways.

She is eating dry dog food and drinking water. She is isolated from my other dogs now just in case this is contagious.

I am washing her with oatmeal shampoo to help with the scabs and it is seeming to get a bit better.

Please let me know what I can do to get rid of this problem, what it is, and if its contagious.

Thanks!

Comments for Malnourished Dog with Scabs on Back

My Online Vet Response for: Malnourished dog with Scabs on Back

Hi Pamela,

You deserve a medal for taking on such a challenge! Good for you! From the photo you sent, it is really difficult for me to give you a specific diagnosis.

I do not think this is a contagious problem, it is more likely a result of lack of proper protein and nutrients in the diet.

My suggestion would be to keep her away from your other dogs for at least 2-3 weeks. Take a stool sample in for a fecal test, to make sure she does not have any parasites.

In the meantime, improve her diet, continue the oatmeal shampoo one time per week, and provide some immune support. If her skin continues to worsen, I would advise taking her to a holistic veterinarian for skin scraping, fungus culture, blood panel plus heartworm test, to rule out mange, ringworm, or other illness.

You mentioned that she was fed only a dry dog food. Dry dog food is the WORST diet for a dog! Changing her diet to a canned, or a Raw diet will do wonders for her immune system, skin, hair coat and over all health!

Immune support:

Immuplex from Standard Process Give one capsule opened and sprinkled into her food two times daily.
------------------------------------------------
OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder
--------------------------------------------------
Missing Link Canine Formula