Lump Between Paw Pads

by Paul R
(Mission Viejo, CA)

Paw Lump - Photo 1

Paw Lump - Photo 1

Paw Lump - Photo 1
Paw Lump - Photo 2
Paw Lump - Photo 3
Christmas Photo

We took our dog to see snow for first time ever. He hurt himself and started limping. We could not see anything except for a cut on the paw, but now it has come up in a lump (3 days later) and is causing him discomfort when walking (he's limping).

We want to know if this is just a wart that will heal naturally or do we need to have surgery?

The dog is an older husky (12) and we really want to avoid surgery if there is an alternate (both because of the costs and also because of the potential recovery issues for an older dog).

How should we treat this to minimize his pain? Generally he is quite sedentry and is happy to lie down most of the day if we dont walk him.

The lump appears to be drying up and there no blood around it.

Comments for Lump Between Paw Pads

My Online Vet Response For: Lump Between Paw Pads

January 6, 2015

Hi Paul,
It is unusual for a cut or wound to turn into a wart in just 3 days. I would suspect that perhaps the wart/growth had been there longer, and when you took him to the snow, he injured it or caused it to break open, and that caused him to limp.

I agree with your assessment that he is a bit too old to surgically remove this growth/wart. However, there are alternative/holistic methods that should work well. I suggest a plan to incorporate his symptoms of:
1. Wart on bottom of foot
2. Wart bleeding
3. Wart painful
4. Skin Warts
And start with the homeopathic remedy, Calcarea carbonica 6C or 12C. Give one pellet by mouth TWO times daily for 3 weeks.

Or, dissolve one pellet in a glass eye dropper bottle, add 2 oz Spring Water, succuss (or shake) the bottle 20 times by hitting it against the palm of your hand prior to each dose.

You must feed him a HEALTHY diet. NO DRY dog food, or very little. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider a RAW diet for him. Considering he is a large breed dog, you might need to compromise and feed him a partial raw diet mixed with some canned and some dry food. Therefore, at least 2/3 of his diet will be moist. I am not sure of his weight from the photo, but if he weighs 60 lbs you will need to feed him 900 calories per day, or 450 calories two times daily.

If he weighs 70 lbs, he needs to have 1,000 calories per day, or 500 calories TWO times daily.

It is better to feed two meals daily.

Use hydrogen peroxide to clean any blood off of the wart. Keep it clean and dry. If he does not chew or bother it, I advise not to bandage and allow it to 'air' out. Although, to provide some comfort while he is walking, you might consider fitting him with a padded 'bootie'. Greyhounds that are prone to corns on the bottom of their toes, need to wear these booties to provide relief and prevent them from limping.

Also, NO more VACCINATIONS. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form. Vaccines can trigger the formation of these warts/growths in susceptible individuals.

In three weeks, send an update by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below. If the wart is worse, he may need a higher potency of Calcarea carbonica.