Losing Hair on Top of Head - Demodectic Mange

by Laurel
(Illinois)

Our Miniature Pincher (who was rescued from a shelter)is losing hair on the top of her head causing her white scalp to show. There is no pattern, like a bug bite.

It does not appear to itch her, but a small scab has formed in the center. I have been putting on an antibiotic ointment for about 5 days with no improvement. What can I do to help cure this condition.

Thank You,
Laurel

Comments for Losing Hair on Top of Head - Demodectic Mange

My Online Vet Response to Losing Hair on Top of Head

Hi Laurel,

The photo you submitted looks suspiciously like Demodectic Mange. Mange is caused by a microscopic mite that lives in the hair follicles. It is commonly seen in young dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years of age. Frequently it will be seen during stress, such as being abandoned at the animal shelter, after vaccinations,or surgeries for spaying, etc. It may also be 'Ringworm', also called Microsporum canis, a fungus found in dog's skin that is contagious to people.

Neither of these conditions will respond to an antibiotic ointment.

It can be easily diagnosed by a skin scraping, (to see the mites under a microscope), or a fungus culture to diagnose the ringworm. Demodectic mange is NOT contagious to humans or to other dogs or cats. It is due to a weakened immune system, and exacerbated by stress.

It is very important for you to feed the highest quality diet, see this section on dog food, and to take her to your local holistic veterinarian who will be able to diagnose exactly which condition your dog has, and give her the correct treatment for her to recover and grow her hair back. And she can also advise you on minimal vaccinations that will not compromise her immune system any further.

DISCLAIMER: This educational advice is based on the depth of your question and the picture you submitted. The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."