Lethargic Dog with Severe Hair Loss & Cluster of Raised Black Moles on Neck

by Emily R.
(Seattle, WA)

Current photo of the warts (?)

Current photo of the warts (?)

My dog Bentlee is very lethargic, has no personality, and itches to the point of bleeding constantly. He has had what looked like a little black mole on the side of his neck for at least 9 or so months.

However, within the last three weeks a huge cluster of raised black moles gathered around the older one (see picture taken). They are bleeding constantly from being scratched.

Bentlee now is eating and drinking however he has no personality, no energy and scratches and bites until bleeding all day and all night and still has the red bumpy rash. It never seems to stop. A Benadryl when it gets out of hand seems to help some.

I have tried absolutely everything, seen one of the best diagnosticians in Seattle and had multiple opinions.

ANY help or advice you can give will be so so so appreciated. I will do absolutely anything to figure out what it is that's wrong with him.

Here's some more background: Bentlee is a three year old, neutered, Yorkie-poo. I bought him in Southern California and raised him there for the first year and a half of his life. He ate whatever food was cheapest, had tons of bones, and never had a single health issue or problem. He was a happy, healthy, energetic puppy.

I moved to Seattle about a year and a half ago with Bentlee. I moved into my parents house for a few months until I could find my own place.

Bentlee loved living with my parents dogs and seemed to adjust just fine until about the 4-5 month right before I moved out. He started to be loosing his hair and to be biting at himself and had a red bumpy rash.

I moved into an apartment where he was the only pet on the ground floor and the problem seemed to persist. Within a month I was taking Bentlee to a vet because he was itching and pulling more hair out. He still had his happy personality though.

The vet told me it was most likely an allergy which developed from the move from California to Seattle. The vet said it was probably something like the trees or pollen and prescribed him an oral antibiotic for skin and infection.

He had me cut out all bones and treats, use only hypoallergenic detergent and shampoos, use no harsh chemicals, and started him on a limited ingredient dog food.

Within a few more months Bentlee was back at the vet, very sick, not wanting to play and becoming very lethargic. The vet was pretty shocked by how quickly Bentlee spiraled downwards and prescribed him Benadryl when needed and a low dose of steroids. The steroids seemed to help for the first two weeks then stopped and Bentlee stopped eating and drinking and became more sickly.

I then moved to a new apartment in a renovated, new building. This is where Bentlee really got worse.

He was put on a homeopathic remedy which didn't seem to work either.

Thank you very much for you time and consideration.

Thank you,

Comments for Lethargic Dog with Severe Hair Loss & Cluster of Raised Black Moles on Neck

My Online Vet Response for: Lethargic Dog with Severe Hair Loss & Cluster of Raised Black Moles on Neck

Hi Emily,
From the photos you have submitted of Bentlee, and the history, I suggest that you have a complete blood panel done and a tissue sample taken of the black 'moles' (using a local/topical anesthetic).

I am very concerned that the black moles may be a form of malignant melanoma, and that he may have liver disease, immune system suppression, and/or adrenal gland exhaustion from the cortisone. In my opinion, the diet that you were feeding that consisted of RAW meat was a good one. Resume a RAW diet again.

Although, at this time, it may be best to try something that is easy to digest, such as chicken or turkey baby food, (like Gerber's human baby food). A small amount perhaps 1-2 tsp at a time to see if he is interested. He also needs an injection of B-complex vitamins .1cc plus Vitamin B-12 .3cc (given in one TB syringe SQ. This will help his liver, and may improve his appetite.

DO NOT give him any vaccinations. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption from vaccination, and some diagnostic workup to find out what is causing the lethargy. At that point, it can be decided on what type of immune support, liver support, adrenal support, etc. may be needed.

He should be treated with homeopathic remedies for 'vaccinosis'. A condition that can occur in susceptible patients after a vaccine has been given. Vaccinosis will lead to chronic illness, that includes allergies, tumors, cancers, infections that seem resistant to conventional treatments, etc.

Dr. Jackie Sehn, at Mercer Animal Hospital on Mercer Animal Hospital is an excellent Homeopathic veterinarian, located not too far from your area.

- Dog Skin Conditions
- Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms

black moles on your dog

Have you tried Wheat Germ Oil? It works on just about everything. It will sooth the skin. You can use it on burns it heals the skin right up. Good luck. Poor puppy