Leptospirosis & Lyme Vaccines for Small Puppy?

by Michelle
(NY)

We live in Long Island, NY and are not sure if we should give our toy/mini poodle, now 4 1/2 months old, the Leptospirosis vaccine?

We've read online that small dogs can react poorly to the vaccine and even die, so we are trying to figure out what to do.

Will the dog have a better response if we give it to him when he is a little older and stronger or will it be the same potential risks for any small dog of any age?

Do all the vets have the same vaccine with the same lepto strains?

We are being told to give the shot by our vet and that their have been 24 cases on Long Island, but we are being told NOT to give the lepto shot by the breeder and other poodle breeders.

Also the Lyme vaccine as well... is that recommended?

We live in the suburbs, our dogs only go outside on our patio, we are paper training them in the house. Though we do have squirrels, birds, mice, cats and some racoons is our neighborhood. We have spotted more animals here than just a few years ago, we are thinking from all the storms and down trees has displaced many animals.

Any info you can offer would be great.

Thank you,

Michelle

Comments for Leptospirosis & Lyme Vaccines for Small Puppy?

My Online Vet Response for: Leptospirosis & Lyme Vaccines for Small Puppy?

Hi Michelle,

From what you have described, it does not sound like your new pup is at high risk for either of these diseases. Both Lepto and Lyme *may* be endemic for the area where you live, (New York), but for a dog to be exposed to Leptospirosis, they must drink water contaminated with the urine of an animal (cattle, rodents, horses, other dogs) that have the disease.

For a dog to get Lyme Disease, they must be bitten by a tick that contains the Lyme bacteria.

Therefore, in my opinion, I do not think you should get either vaccination for your dog.

See the article written in Current Veterinary Therapy XI, "Annual Vaccinations" which came out in 1992, written by Dr. Ron Schultz, regarding ALL vaccinations. To help you form your own opinion.

Also, here is some important information on Lepto from a holistic veterinarian that was just posted on the AVH list serve yesterday, Feb 9.

"A paper out of Cornell actually set it straight about what Lepto vaccines are actually doing.
Bacterins (the highly provocative and higly adverse event associated) are only for ictero and canicola neither of which are even a problem except for *ghetto dogs* or housing *exposed to large amounts of urine* like boarding kennels and dog parks.

Subunit vaccines are available for the above two serovars and for L. pomona and L. grippa which are not in the rarely seen category but in the occassional categories. These are the serovars associated with racoon and skunk wildlife and in pretty much certain areas of known risk areas.
Now, there are vaccines that supposedly can show a year's length of generating antibody but they are bacterins, are highly adverse associated and not available in the US.

Remember, antibody production is not immunity.
For the subunit vaccines, especially for the pomona and grippa, what they have as far as research says you might get 2 -2 1/2 weeks of antibody production (not immunity) from the second booster for these vaccines!

No wonder Dr. Ron Schultz scoffed at the efficacy of these vaccines and stated that the dogs are likely to be miserable with dermatitis for 4 years from Lepto vaccines when they won't be benefited for 4 weeks for taking the risk!

From my research, it is obvious that they have "made a market for this vaccine" not because there is a real disease threat. I suspect with the downsizing of the ridiculous annual vaccine protocols to the similarly ridiculous every three year vaccine protocols, that the main reason for picking up the charge for the Leptospirosis vaccines was to replace lost revenue from the unsafe and unnecessary annual vaccines!"

Sincerely,
Patricia Jordan, DVM

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Leptospirosis & Lyme Vaccines for Small Puppy? PART TWO

Hi Michelle,

Here is the rest of my response.

I am not sure if this is 'information overload' but any age of small white dog breeds ARE genetically more susceptible to adverse vaccine reactions than all other breeds. (You did not mention your dog's color, even if your dog is black she is still in the small dog breed category!)

So, my advice would be to vaccinate sparingly (only Rabies every 3 years) and distemper/Parvo every 3 years, but NOT both in the same year, or not at all! Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, to write an exemption form for you.

- Dog Vaccination Schedule
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Vaccinations Section