Large mammary tumor in a 6 1/2 year old boxer

I have a six and a half year old unsprayed female boxer. About two years ago she developed a small tumor on her back leg.

At first it seemed like it didn't grow at all until about two months ago. At this same time she started to get tumors all over her body one of which that was about the size of a marble and in one of her mammary glands.

In the last two months it has more than tripled in size. My veterinarian was hesitant to do any type of surgery because my boxer is allergic to anesthesia. The tumor in her memory glands has now grown all the way back into the inside of her back leg and has began to seep a clear fluid. Her leg has also began to swell.

So I guess my question to you is how do I know when it is time to have her put down?

Comments for Large mammary tumor in a 6 1/2 year old boxer

My Online Vet Response for: Large Mammary tumor in a 6 1/2 year old boxer

Hello,
You have posted a very discouraging situation. It seems that 'conventional' veterinarians are reluctant to suggest alternative/complementary treatments to clients when they have a patient with a grave prognosis.

"My veterinarian was hesitant to do any type of surgery because my boxer is allergic to anesthesia."

It seems that would have been the point to consider alternative treatments. But there may be more to this than what you have posted.

In the meantime, with your boxer developing swelling in her leg due to lymphedema, drainage of the mammary gland allowing sepsis/infection to enter her system, pain is soon to follow as she will be unable to walk. Then when she starts developing a fever, not eating, becoming more depressed and having no interest in her surroundings, then you will know it is time to end her suffering.

You may be able to slow down the process, possibly make her a bit more comfortable, by taking her to a holistic veterinarian.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Thank you

I will be searching for another vet and hopefully I will be able to find a holistic veterinarian in my area. Piper has been a great companion for six and a half years and I have been willing from day one to do anything I can to help her.

She is still walking well and wanting to chase the cat. She is also eating everything I put in front of her. She loves the raw diet I have her on I only wish I had stumbled onto this site years ago.

I only hope I can make her last days the best and show her as much love and caring as she has shown me for years. Thank you so much for your help in this difficult time that I must face. "Dogs are not our whole life, They make our life whole".

My Online Vet Response for: Large Mammary tumor in a 6 1/2 year old Boxer

Hello,
"Dogs are not our whole life, They make our life whole"

Well said!

Piper's fight is over now
by: Melissa

We took piper in today to have her put down. She was such a trooper and fought for so long but in the end her body gave out. She was in severe pain although she never showed it until the last.

My little girl went to heaven and now I know she isn't suffering anymore. I watched for the signs you listed and it happened just like you said only really fast. I guess no amount of time is ever enough. Thanks once again for the advice.

My Online Vet Response For: Large mammary tumor in a 6 1/2 year old boxer

Hi Melissa,
Thank you for keeping us posted.

I just wanted to send you a note to tell you that I am very sorry to hear about your loss. From your posting I could tell that you loved Piper very much, and I know that you will miss her deeply.

All of us here at Organic Pet Digest send you our deepest sympathy at this time.

Sincerely,