Large growing, bleeding wart on dog's face

by Lori

My dog, Chrissy, developed a mole on her forehead less than a year ago. Within the last three months, the wart has tripled in size and tends to bleed.

Chrissy, a twelve year old miniature poodle, is not a very active dog because she has pretty severe arthritis. She sleeps most the time but is as sweet-natured as possible.

Also, she has been having a discharge out of her anal area for over three weeks now. I thought she was just in heat but it seems to be lasting too long for that. Our other dog, a male miniature schnauzer, consistently tries to lick the mole.

Comments for Large growing, bleeding wart on dog's face

My Online Vet Response for: Large growing, bleeding wart on dog's face

September 24, 2013

Hi Lori,

Chrissy, your 12 year old female Miniature Poodle with arthritis, has more problems than just the wart. To address the wart issue first, and decrease the bleeding and prevent your other dog from continuously licking Chrissy's wart, you will need to clip the hair around the perimeter of the wart, and clean it with hydrogen peroxide two times daily. Apply the ointment, Thuya to the wart two times daily for the next 3-6 weeks.

In the meantime, the increase in growth of this wart over the past 3 months, may be due to some other problems occurring. You wrote that Chrissy has severe arthritis, and she is not active. Is that because the arthritis pain is not controlled? What are you giving her for pain and/or joint support? If you are using conventional drugs, Rimadyl/Metacam/steroids perhaps this has reached a point where her Vital Force has been compromised and her immune system suppressed?

The same with her *anal* discharge that has been present for 3 weeks. If this is from the rectum, then she may have an anal gland abscess. If it is from the vulva, (if she is not spayed), this may be due to an infected uterus, called pyometra. This is a VERY serious medical condition, and she should be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible. A holistic veterinarian would be best, as they would NOT require her to have any vaccinations, and would use acupuncture or homeopathy for arthritis pain, and supplements to boost her immune system. And depending on the diagnosis for the anal discharge, treat that in a holistic manner.

Same problem
by: Murphys mom

I have an 8 year old Labradoodle with the same growths that seem to get full then bleed out. He also has anal gland issues. Along with fatty tumors.

January 21, 2014

Dear Murphy's Mom,

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).