Lag between bad dog food and diarrhea

by Jordan Erenrich
(New York, NY)

Is it possible to determine the lag between my dog eating a bad food and having diarrhea?

I gave her (65lb female lab) an uncooked bone with a bit of raw meat on it about 30 hours ago and woke up this morning to find diarrhea on my floor.

Is it likely the bone was the cause?

Thanks,

-Jordan

Comments for Lag between bad dog food and diarrhea

My Online Vet Response for: Lag between bad dog food and diarrhea

Hi Jordan,
Yes, that is definitely reasonable to assume that there could be a connection. In my experience, between 12-48 hours is the approximate estimate for 'gut transit time'.

If your dog has never had an uncooked bone with the raw meat before, then diarrhea may be a problem from the change of diet. If there is a lot of marrow in the bone (a source of high fat), it might also cause loose stool if your dog has a difficult time digesting fat.

Raw bones are an excellent 'device' to help in dental care. But there are some dogs that have difficulty in digesting them, so an alternative must be found to help keep their teeth clean. Check our page on dog dental hygiene.

Also, for diarrhea caused by a change of diet, there are some very good homeopathic remedies available. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian if your dog has not recovered in 12-24 hours.

In the meantime, feed a bland diet of chicken or turkey baby food, about 2 jars plus 1/2 cup cooked rice, every 8 hours for the next two days. Add in some Acidophilus, 2 capsules per meal, to replenish the loss of gut flora from the intestine.

Once the stool is improved, gradually mix in her regular food to the rice and baby food over the next 3 days, and CONTINUE the acidophilus for a full week.

- Dog Diarrhea Medicine,
- Dog Constipation Symptoms & Treatment,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Diarrhea, Constipation and/or Digestive Problems Section