Kitten with Involuntary Shivers

by Kat
(Central, Maine)

Shortly after bringing my kitten home, I noticed she would shiver a lot, but not while she was playing. Rather, it would be while she was either content (laid back mode) or laying down to sleep. It wasn't specific to day or night, but both, during her restful periods.

Here's a video:

It did also seem to get triggered by certain events or people: boyfriend walking into room, or going to the door with her in my arms - the latter of which is still a trigger.

For food, I started her on "chicken soup for the soul - for kittens" as her 1st bag in my house.

She is a 6 mo old tri-colored DLH kitten. I've had her since she was 2-3 months old. She came from the neighbor who fostered the mom (who was presumed to be a stray, though she was very loveable) and her litter. The entire litter was fed Friskies canned and dry from birth til they left (yes, disgusting!).

I then switched her to Call of the Wild Venison because she liked the dog version of that, so I got her own version of it so she wouldn't be missing her taurine. It did seem like after a while the shivers reduced and were less noticeable, but recently they have started getting bad again.

The local vet did a blood test, though the wrong one. I requested a complete blood panel to determine the levels of 4 hormones and markers - based on working with a Feline Disease specialist, who wanted to determine if she had FIP. The vets office just did the generic FIP and TOXO tests, without specific levels, and those came back negative. The Feline Disease specialist tells me those are not a true test, so they basically wasted my money.

The kitten has yet to be fixed because I was holding off to see if the shivers would go away. Like I said, they did decrease quite a bit for a while, though were never gone. She went into heat this past week, so it's time to get her spayed, but she has started having regular shivers all over again. I am afraid to get her fixed and have shots because of the change to the brain function from the anesthesia, as well as the toxicity to her liver and thyroid from the vaccines. I'm concerned that if she does have some kind of neurological problem that it'll be worse after these procedures.

It definitely seems neurological - like her brainwaves are off, or there are misfiring's in the neurons during low brain-wave activity. She doesn't appear to be having any kind of seizure, it is exactly what you'd expect with cold or fear-based shivers. I am attaching a video of it so you can watch.

One thing I just realized as I started writing this and discussing food, is that the first bag she ate from was a chicken-based food, and the bag I recently bought for my dog (switched for some variety) is also a chicken-based food, whereas they were both on venison & trout (Call of the Wild) in between those. She loves eating the dogs food, so she has been getting a fair share of his new chicken food this past week. Maybe this is a chicken allergy?? I've not heard of that in cats, but I wouldn't rule it out. The dog food doesn't have taurine, but she gets canned food in the morning and still does get some of her own crunchies, so the taurine is still in her diet. Maybe she requires higher levels of taurine? Or magnesium?

The only treatments/medications she has had is: @ 1 month old she had Frontline spray treatment(mom and litter had fleas) and Strongin dewormer. @ 1.5 months old she had a 2nd treatment of Strongin.

Those treatments at such a young age have me alarmed.. that a vet would give them that at such a young age! So, if it isn't the food, then I suspect neurological side-effects from the Frontline or dewormer. Tell me what you think.

I think I have provided all the info I can think of... she does have a good appetite and drinks plenty of water. She does not go outside. She has normal level of energy and play for a kitten of 6 months.

Video will not attach, so if you can send me an email address then I will forward it that way so you can see her shivers.

Thanks!
KT

Comments for Kitten with Involuntary Shivers

My Online Vet Response for: Kitten with Involuntary Shivers

February 14, 2015

Hi Kat,
It would be nice to see the video of her 'shivers'. I will have the webmaster contact you to see if he can work out a way to attach a video.

From your description of these 'episodes' I agree with you that these are some type of neurologic event. I doubt they are due to an 'allergic' reaction to chicken, but anything is possible. I would be more suspicious of either an adverse drug reaction, reaction to a vaccine, and/or combination of drug reaction with suppressed immune system. I do not know if she was also tested for FeLV and FIV. The FIP and Toxo are also possibilities, even though the tests you had done were not that specific. And may be 'false' negatives.

In the meantime, I would remove ALL dry food from her diet, and also from your dog's diet. DRY DOG FOOD and DRY CAT FOOD is not healthy. The BEST food would be a raw diet, for both your dog and cat. Do not leave food out. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.

It would be best to feed canned food first, and then start adding in some of the raw diets. For cats, try Rad Cat. (www.radfood.com) For dogs try Bravo, Primal, or Nature's Variety.

Raw meat contains Vitamin C. When it is cooked or heated, that destroys the Vitamin C. Since dogs and cats make their own Vitamin C, pet food companies do not add it to the cooked/processed food. But I worry if she has a depressed immune system, she is probably not making enough Vitamin C.

Here are a list of some immune supplements. I suggest you try the Mega C powder.

Start her on Nux vomica 6C or 12C. This is a homeopathic remedy useful for adverse drug reactions. Make it into a liquid solution, by adding one pellet to a 2oz glass dropper bottle and fill with Spring Water. Give her 1/2 dropper ful by mouth TWO times daily for the next 3-4 weeks. Succuss, or shake the bottle 20 times by hitting it against the palm of your hand prior to each dose.

She may need a remedy for vaccinosis, as a vaccine may have triggered these episodes, but I would start with the Nux vomica first.

I also agree that it would be best to delay her spay surgery for awhile. And DO NOT give her any more vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian would be able to write an exemption for her, and help you with the homeopathic remedies.

Added video
by: Admin

From Administrator: I received the video from Kat and have added it above.

My Online Vet Response For: Kitten with Involuntary Shivers

February 16, 2015

Hi Kat,
After watching the video, (thanks Administrator), I noticed a few things:

1.Your kitten appears too thin. (so she may have a mild malnourishment)

2.The tremors, or slight muscle fasciculations, stop as soon as she makes a voluntary movement. Lower motor neuron instead of upper motor neuron, which is a 'better' prognosis.

3.Rather than a food 'allergy' I am concerned about a nutritional deficiency, as you mentioned. This would be very subtle, but apparent due to the combination of a poor diet at a young age with the exposure to Frontline.

In my previous posting I suggested an improvement in the diet, and a gradual switch to a raw diet, such as Rad Cat. And perhaps adding in Feline Whole Body Support from Standard Process. https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Veterinary-Formulas/Feline-Whole-Body-Support#.VOL2g0tM5uY

Standard Process carries a supplement that is excellent for the nervous system, https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Neuroplex#.VOL3YktM5uY, but I would be VERY cautious trying to dose her, since she is so small.

Follow all my suggestions in the previous posting regarding avoidance of all toxins, give her the Nux vomica, and improve her diet.

If the improvement in diet does not make the tremors disappear completely, then I think these tremors may be permanent. I do not think that spaying her will be too 'dangerous'.

But I would NOT vaccinate her. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption for her.

Reply
by: KT

Thank you for your responses. I wasn't getting email notices that you had posted them so I was frustrated thinking I wasn't getting a response. But, they were on the page, so I was wrong.

I wish I could weigh her.. she does have a small kitty frame, as did her mother. She eats all the time though, canned in the morning (2.5oz) then dry throughout the day (Taste of the Wild). I hadn't thought of Vitamin C - that is a very good recommendation for both her and my dog. Thoughts on taurine or magnesium?

I will get Nux Vomica right away and start her on that. According to the foster mother, they did not get any shots. I should confirm with the vet office to be sure. So, as far as I know, just the frontline and whatever else I mentioned in the first post. So, you say spaying her will be okay, but vaccines will not. Good to have your opinion because her going in and out of heat would not be fun. I have a holistic vet right in my neighborhood but I don't see her professionally because she charges too much and I don't care for her personally. However, I will see what she says about writing an exemption for me without receiving any money (any chance you can write one for me?).

I will update as I get her onto your recommendations, and/or if I think of anything else. Thank you!

My 6 mth kitten has the same symptoms

Hi Kat,

My 6-mth old kitten has the exact same type of shivers - only in the morning when she is resting, but awake. Absolutely fine apart from that. The shivers look just like in your video. She's quite small as well, although I weigh her every week and she steadily puts on weight. Just curious if the change in diet has helped your cat at all?

Shivers

Hi, so far I haven't been able to make much adjustment with her diet due to having a slow period in my business (income down), but I am going to get the Nux Vomica remedy and use that as a first approach. This doesn't seem like an emergency, or an issue that will get worse before old age, and she is otherwise fine, fortunately, so waiting for the better income is necessary. I do also plan to get her on nutritional supplementation just for the added nervous system support, and cellular support.

It has now been discovered that her brother is starting to have the same problem. Still quite suspicious of the Frontline dowsing that the mother got at the vets when they were 4 weeks old - she was saturated with it, and the kittens were still nursing! (questionable competence of the vet's employees!)

I will certainly update this after I begin her on the changes. I do NOT plan to get her ANY vaccines... the additives are pure poison. Most vets have an issue with this... so that may be something to be dealt with. Would be great if Dr. Tillman on here would herself write the waiver.

Thanks for adding your post!

March 2, 2015

Hi Kat,
Regarding vaccinations, you wrote,
"Would be great if Dr. Tillman on here would herself write the waiver."

That would require a physical exam, similar to writing a health certificate. Most 'conventional' veterinarians are not so 'eager' to write a waiver, as they do not feel that vaccines pose much danger.

Therefore, seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be the best way to get an exemption, or a waiver from vaccines.

"It has now been discovered that her brother is starting to have the same problem. Still quite suspicious of the Frontline dowsing that the mother got at the vets when they were 4 weeks old - she was saturated with it, and the kittens were still nursing!"

Yes, that is very suspicious! Nux vomica would be the perfect remedy to help with a problem due to exposure to a toxin, or adverse reaction to a medicine.

Thanks for the update!

That was a fast reply, thank you! Great information.. I do think the Frontline is the cause, and it sounds like you agree. I will get Nux Vom online asap (stores don't carry 6c, most are 30c for people) - I found a source that does offer a liquid dilution of their remedies, but it contains alcohol. They suggest ordering 20% alcohol level and diluting with water for a kitten... would you agree with this or just get the pellets?

I will order enough for my neighbor too.

What do you think about that new fresh food called, "Fresh Pet" - sold in some grocery outlets and some petstores in a refrigerator. Has short list of ingredients, all food and vitamins. Protein is much lower though, like 10%, similar to canned cat food. Also wonder about the salt... most use table salt, don't they? That's not good.

I had a deja vu last week about this situation.. I remembered having a dream about taking a cat to a vet and it not making it through surgery. I actually worry about her even getting spayed now.. this local vet has questionable employees who do not listen to my concerns. I worry they'll give her vaccinations during surgery regardless of what I've requested. Either way, I even worry about the anesthesia. I should maybe get her blood tested before hand to see if she can handle it. I am getting insurance for her, so I am relieved knowing I don't need to worry about vet costs anymore! VPI is AWESOME! 100% reimbursement and only $100 deductible! :D

THANKS! :)

Follow-up to vet
by: Kat

Hi, so I had this kitten scheduled to her spay today, and took her in, only to be refused treatment by the vet. You'll never guess why! Because I consulted with an online holistic vet and have this page "published" for all to see!

He claims now that she has been diagnosed (which she hasn't other than your opinion), that it would be a liability for him to treat her under anesthesia. He also says he disagrees with everything you told me, and that he refuses to do anything "holistic". All treatments by him would be normal protocol: anesthesia, vaccines, etc., but he won't even accept her as a "patient" now that she has been diagnosed with a neurological issue by another vet.

I've held off on spaying due to this issue, hoping to find someone who would consider this stuff. The shelter she came from is still her "owner" until she is spayed and I can adopt her, so I can't take her to a holistic vet due to the cost. The shelter is now telling me that I just need to let them take her into their vet for the normal spay procedure (including vaccines) and hope for the best.

I'm quite fed up with this looney "medical" system we have, I really am! These old-method vets say "I've never had these problems in all my years of practice", and consider all the drugs and vaccine additives perfectly safe. >:[

I'm stuck now. She is going to have to get the normal procedure and I'm going to have to cross my fingers. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

April 1, 2015

Hi Kat,
I am not sure what to tell you, regarding how 'binding' a suggestion received on-line for a medical condition might be!

Perhaps, you could go to a different conventional veterinarian, and show them the video of the kitten, and ask what they would suggest, as she is due to be spayed, and you would like to avoid all complications with surgery and anesthesia.

Regarding vaccinations, I feel that no vaccines should be given to her at the time of surgery. It would be best to just have the surgery done, and see how she recovers from that first.

Post Spay
by: Owner

Just following up. Her spay has been done. It took an entire 24 hours for her eyes to go back to normal - I almost feared the anesthesia made her blind. She has now been home 2 days, and today she has not been very social or interactive (though I was gone half the day, but even all afternoon and evening she has been sleeping).

I am wondering what homeopathic remedy I can use to clear her system of the anesthesia. I don't know which anesthesia was used (I do intend to ask) but I will never let them use it again on her. Interestingly, I haven't noticed her shivers since she came home, but I don't imagine anesthesia healed her of them so it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for your response.

April 9, 2015

Hi Kat,
Thank you for the post-op update on her recovery from surgery from being spayed.

A useful remedy for removing side effects or lingering effects from a drug or anesthetic, is Nux vomica. You can use 12C or 30C, give her one dose once an hour for 3 hours, then every 8 hours for one to two days. The easiest way to prepare it, is to put one pellet into a glass 1 or 2 oz dropper bottle. Fill with Spring Water and shake it 20 times by hitting it against the palm of your hand. Give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth at the above frequency.