Kitten Has Red, Irritated Chin

My kitten's irritated chin

My kitten's irritated chin

My kitten's chin is red and looks a little like warts or irritation. Not sure if its due to him having a sinus infection (that's why his nose is red) or if he got a little cut from wrestling with his brother. It's been like this for almost a week.

He started taking an antibiotic yesterday for his chin, but unfortunately I forgot to show the vet this area. I was there because of his sneezing and it slipped my mind.

I'm worried its something bad. I'm a new pet owner, only a week and a half, so I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, or if I should take him back to the vet. Thank you!!!

Comments for Kitten Has Red, Irritated Chin

My Online Vet Response for: Kitten Has Red, Irritated Chin

October 11, 2013

Dear New Pet Owner,

From the photo of your kitten's chin it appears to be feline acne. You also mentioned that your kitten has a 'sinus' infection, with lots of sneezing. I am not sure how old your kitten is now, but I usually see problems such as these start after receiving the first, or booster, kitten vaccinations.

I do not treat with antibiotics. As the respiratory problems are either vaccine induced or from a virus, antibiotics are not effective. Clean your kitten's chin with hydrogen peroxide, and use a flea comb to remove the crusts and scabs. You may need to wrap your kitten in a towel, with only her head sticking out and turn her on her back, in order to work on her chin. Most cats DO NOT like this area touched! Once it is cleaned thoroughly, you may only need to clean with hydrogen peroxide one to two times per week for three to four weeks.

Make sure that her diet is NOT DRY CAT FOOD. Feed her canned cat food plus 1-2 tsp of raw meat, in each meal. Check out,, or for more info on raw diets for cats. In most instances, with vaccine induced illness, if the diet is improved, by introducing some RAW meat, everything will clear up on it's own.

I do not feel it is necessary to continue the antibiotics.

If she is NOT improving, you may need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, to treat her with homeopathic remedies for 'vaccinosis'.