Karen with a Dog of all anxiety disorders

by Karen Niner
(Swanton, Ohio)

We brought our dog home when he was 3 months old. It took us a year to figure out we were dealing with an anxiety disorder.

We went on vacation and our daughter's boyfriend lived at our house to care for him. The boyfriend notified us that our dog had chewed holes in our brand new vinyl flooring.

We had the flooring patched and he did it again. He was doing this whether we were home or whether we were not home ever since.

My daughter did do some investigating and spoke to the vet about it.

By the way, we switched vets because our present vet stated we were not caring properly for our dog. The new vet informed us of anxiety disorders and offered we look into a training course. Unfortunately we cannot afford a training course.

Our daughter since then went online to research the issues with canine anxiety disorders and discovered the Thundershirt. Now we use this Thundershirt every time we leave the house. It seems to help, but only if we place the thundershirt on 15 minutes before leaving and give a treat before applying the shirt.

We also found that if it is not on tight, that the separation anxiety is still there. What we haven't tried is modification for his social and noise anxiety.

I can't even play the piano without our dog running to the bathroom to hide. I don't think my music playing is that bad....

- Dog Anxiety: Preventing & Treating the 3 Types

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Dog anxiety.