Itchy Dog After Baths

by Jim
(Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA)

Within the last 6-8 months my dog seems to have become sensitive to baths. After a bath she is very itchy to to point of scratching out clumps of fur. She is a Golden Retriever who is about 8 years old.

About 1 week ago I took her to Petco for a bath and a trim. She has been very itchy since that time. I expected it to go away, but after more than a week of her suffering (and me vacuuming every day) I think it would be good for her to have some treatment.

I don't see any signs of redness or any sores and it seems to be all over (not any specific area).

I am hoping you can recommend some type of spray or lotion for immediate relief and then maybe a different type of shampoo for future baths.

Jim

Comments for Itchy Dog After Baths

My Online Vet Response for Itchy Dog after Baths

Hi Jim,
Itching and scratching after a bath is not uncommon. But since this has not happened before the past 6-8 months, then I would want to see if there was anything else done (at that time) to your dog that may have triggered this response.

Topical flea/tick products, vaccinations, drugs, food or treats and a new environment are all factors that may have stimulated this 'hypersensitivity'.

Some changes that may help to alleviate her problem would be to wean her off of dry dog food and to consider a raw natural dog food diet. (Also review the information linked from our Natural Dog Food Diet page.) If she is a dog with a dog food allergy, it will take 3-6 weeks for her to improve.

Avoid toxic flea and tick products for the next 2 months, and use more a natural product like Wondercide. Our Dog Flea Medicine page has more information.

She may need to have a skin scraping or fungus culture done, so you may have to seek out a holistic veterinarian to help diagnose and then to treat her in a more holistic manner.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: