Is This Bleeding Growth a Dog Wart or Cancer?

by Viriginia
(Lewes DE)

My 12 yr 11 mo old male standard poodle had been very healthy (except for some chronic liver disease -- now on denamarin) until a few months ago when he lost a lot of weight and was very weak/wobbly. He has started gaining back weight by eating Fromm's gold senior and prescription diet a/d and is also on a low dose of prednisone.

Also in the past few months this growth starting growing on his head, a little above his ear -- it's been this size for about a month but in the last week it has started to ooze a little blood. It doesn't bother him -- or me (except that I am now a little more careful when I pet him on that side of his head).

He is seeing a vet fairly often because of the lack of a diagnosis for weight loss (cbc and physical exam were all normal)but this vet is very expensive so before asking about this, I thought I would check with you whether this is just a wart or something to be concerned about, e.g., cancer.

FYI, he does have a number of lipomas mostly on his under side.

Comments for Is This Bleeding Growth a Dog Wart or Cancer?

My Online Vet Response for: Is This Bleeding Growth a Dog Wart or Cancer?

January 15, 2015

Hi Virginia,
This is a benign dog wart. The bleeding may be secondary to irritation if he scratched his ear, or rubbed his head against something and irritated it.

You can apply topical Thuya ointment, (Thuja occidentalis), on it one time daily for 3-6 weeks.

http://www.herbalremedies.com/boiron-thuja-ointment.html

I have also found that cleaning with hydrogen peroxide daily, and applying a small amount of styptic powder, (the same that you use when trimming a dog's toenails too short), will control the bleeding.

But because he also has the lipomas, chronic liver disease, and something else causing weight loss and weakness, I suggest you use the oral Thuya, either 12C or 6C. Give one pellet by mouth TWO times daily for 3 weeks.

http://www.healthvitamins.biz/thujaoccidentalis12cbyboiron.aspx

This will address ALL his problems.

As for your dog's other problems, I would like to offer some suggestions.

"he has some chronic liver disease -- now on denamarin) until a few months ago when he lost a lot of weight and was very weak/wobbly. He has started gaining back weight by eating Fromm's gold senior and prescription diet a/d and is also on a low dose of prednisone."

Prednisone commonly causes liver problems. I suggest you try Livaplex by Standard Process (one capsule in food two times daily) with Milk Thistle, 8 mg per lb TWO times daily mixed in food. I have found milk thistle to be superior to Denamarin for liver problems. He should also have a B-12/B-complex vitamin injection one time per week. This will increase his appetite, and provide the B-vitamins that his liver should be making.

If possible, once he is on the Thuya, Milk thistle, Livaplex, and B-vitamin injections, you may be able to gradually reduce the dose of Prednisone, if he gains weight, and shows a steady improvement overall.

Also, DO NOT give him any vaccinations. If he is due for Rabies, find a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.