Irritation Around Dog's Eye & Mouth

by Don
(Portland, OR)

eye redness

eye redness

eye redness
ulcerations on mouth
loving personality

About two weeks ago we noticed a redness above our dog’s eye. It appeared that some fur was scraped off so we thought that he might have run into a rose bush in the yard or even been stung by a bee as he likes to chase them.

The redness around the eye worsened and we noticed ulcerations around his mouth.

We brought him to the vet. He has been undergoing treatment at home for a week. We have seen some reduction in the redness around the eye, but the healing seems slow.

We are applying a Neo/Poly/Bac Opthalmic Ointment three times a day. He is getting a Hoxey-Like Formula tincture twice a day along with 25 mg of Benadryl twice a day. We have recently noticed a mild discharge in his unaffected eye.

Our dog’s energy has been excellent, and his demeanor is as friendly and loving as it has always been.

He is a 10 month old lab/heeler mix that we got from a rescue shelter a little over two months ago. He eats Natural Choice dog food topped with a little vegetable broth. We occasionally feed him some raw food. He has received vaccinations for rabies, bordatella, and DHLLP in January and February. He was recently treated effectively for giardia.

We would appreciate any insights you have about his condition and remedies for it.

Comments for Irritation Around Dog's Eye & Mouth

My Online Vet Response for: Irritation Around Dog's Eye & Mouth

June 8, 2013

Hi Don,

You have a very cute dog! And in his short life he has quite the medical history!

Born August 2012

Vaccinated-Jan & Feb 2013 DHPP, BORDATELLA, RABIES
Neutered?? March/April?

Adopted April 2013

May 2013 Treated for Giardia

Now at end of May beginning of June he has broken out with a rash/lesions on his Right eye, Right side of mouth, and from the photo appears to have something on his Right ear.

I suspect he has Demodex mange. I am not sure why they are using an antibiotic ointment in his eye. The eye itself does not look red, it is the surrounding skin of the eyelids that are affected.

Please take him to a holistic veterinarian. There is a GREAT holistic Vet in Portland, Oregon, Dr. Bob Ulbrich.

In the meantime, he needs to have MORE raw meat incorporated into his diet. Raw diet Check out Primal, Nature's Variety, Darwin's, or BRAVO!

Add some immune support to his diet.

Problems that arise after vaccinations are considered to be due to 'vaccinosis'. There are specific homeopathic remedies that are useful to treat this condition. The more you use antibiotics, anti-histamines, and conventional medicines, the more you will 'suppress' the disease, and in the long run the patient will become 'sicker'.

Check out the book by Dr. Dooley, called, Beyond Flat Earth Medicine. Dr. Dooley is an M.D. and treats humans. But he describes and explains how homeopathy works, which applies to BOTH humans and animals!

Thank you
by: Don

Thanks for your suggestions. We plan to incorporate more raw food into his diet and have ordered the immune boosters you have recommended. I am glad to note that the irritations around his eye and mouth are improving. We appreciate your insights.

My Online Vet Response for: Irritation Around dog's eye & mouth

June 10, 2013

Hi Don,

I am glad to hear that she is actually improving already!