Inflammed Paw Pads

by Camille Schiavone
(Huntersville, NC, USA)

Our 14 year old male Shih Tzu has had inflamed paw pads for a couple weeks that sometimes bleed a bit.

I have tried soaking them in Epsom salt, and I bought a sulfadyne cream for abrasions but the condition still exists.

It has been very hot here, so I wondered if his paws may have gotten burned on the pavement. The problem started in one paw, now the other three are inflamed to varying degrees. He limps but otherwise he is eating and acting the same as usual. Thanks.

Comments for Inflammed Paw Pads

My Online Vet Response to Inflamed Paw Pads

Hi Camille,
It is possible that your 14 yr old Shih Tzu may have burned his pads, but this may also be due to some other systemic illness causing swelling of the feet.

An older dog may have heart disease, hypertension, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, diabetes, or some other problem that would hamper circulation to the feet. Older dogs have a weaker immune system, and are much more susceptible to bacterial, fungal and yeast infections.

A problem like this that has continued for 2 weeks and is actually getting worse (all of the feet are now involved, and there is some bleeding) is potentially very serious and he should be seen as soon as possible by a veterinarian. Ideally, a holistic veterinarian would be your best bet for optimal treatment.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: find a holistic veterinarian in my area

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Paws, Toes & Dog Paw Pads Section