Infected Swollen Dog Eye Lid

by Marilyn Y.
(New York City, NY)

About 2 months ago, I noticed almost overnight that my dog's right top eye lid was swollen with some yellow (not blood) discharge coming out.

I treated him orally with herbal formula and topically with emu oil. After a few weeks I stopped emu oil when I no longer saw any discharge but continued herbal supplement for another month.

Eye got better to the point where I was almost going to stop supplement. A week ago, however, swelling came back, though not as severe as it was the first time.

The infection has also spread to the corner of the eye towards the lower eye lid.

I went to holistic pet store and got Colloidal Silver Spray and human grade natural supplement for allergies - Aller-DMG by FoodScience of Vermont. I am giving him 1/2 a tablet, twice a day in his food. I also spray Colloidal silver in his food as well as his drinking water.

Twice a day, I am cleaning his eye topically with Colloidal Silver on a cotton pad and once a day with emu oil.

Pet store consultant advised me to take him off all poultry products as a possible allergen as well as a Nutro Pro because it contains yeast. I now stick to lamb & beef flavors and a venison & sweet potato treat.

I've started this recent treatment for about 4 days, eye lid seems stable, but sometimes sees some wet discharge coming from corner of eye. Pet store consultant thinks and I agree that my dog scratched his eye lid either with his nails or on something by accident and eye lid became infected. Eye lid healed well the first time, but once allergy season started this spring, he re-injured his eye lid.

Wost case scenario I will bring him to vet, but I prefer not to not because of money but because he is aggressive towards strangers, especially vets. He is a little bundle of 18lb terror/terrier when he sees strangers.

I also bought a bottle of calm formula to test on him just in case, but I was advised that it would be a 50/50 chance that it may work on him. I am skeptical that it will work at all.

Dog: Mixed Breed, Yorkie/Maltese/Shitz Shu
Age: 5 1/2
Gender: Male

Diet:

1. Dehydrated Raw (Stella & Chewy's brand) rotating flavors: Chicken/Beef/Lam/Duck/Surf&Turf
2. Dehydrated Raw (Only Natural Pet Store Brand) Turkey & Sweet Potato.

U.S.A. made Dehydrated Chicken Breast Treats
Zukes Dog Treats (various flavors)
Evo Dog Biscuits
Bully Sticks

Daily Supplements: Probiotic, NUPRO® All Natural Dog Supplement, Mercola Krill Oil, Mercola Mushroom Suppl

Vaccinations: Received all basic puppy shots including Rabies when he was 6 months old. Also neutered when he was about 6 months old. No vaccinations since that time, about 5 years ago.

Please advise...

Comments for Infected Swollen Dog Eye Lid

My Online Vet Response for: Infected Swollen Dog Eye Lid

June 13, 2014

Hi Marilyn,

From the photos you sent of your dog's eye, I am suspicious that he may have Demodex/mange mites, in the eyelids. See our page with more info on this type of mite, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/how-to-treat-dog-mange.html#Demodectic.

Diagnosis is done with a skin scraping. His irritable personality does pose a problem. So, he would need to be sedated to do this.

Another possibility is ringworm, a fungus. http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-skin-conditions.html#Causes And this is diagnosed with a fungus culture. Again, he would need the sedation, so the skin scraping and fungus culture would be done at the same time.

Rescue Remedy or other 'natural' calming agents will not help to calm him enough for a veterinarian to do a skin scraping or fungal culture.

I do not think this is due to an allergic skin problem, since you do not mention that he is scratching or itching. And if due to inhaled allergies, food allergies or other, then BOTH eyes would be involved.

Although, since the problem came on so acutely, it may have been caused by an insect sting or bite, which would make him scratch his eye. And for some reason, is just not healing. If he damaged the cornea, then he would be squinting and holding the eye partially closed.

Stella and Chewy's is a good food. But for a chronic skin condition that is NOT healing, I suggest you try him on a RAW diet that is not dehydrated. Consider Primal, BARF or BRAVO!

Continue all of the supplements that you are giving him: Probiotic, NUPRO® All Natural Dog Supplement, Mercola Krill Oil, Mercola Mushroom Supplements.

He also may need extra immune supplements.

And continue to NOT vaccinate him!

Using a soft E-collar to put around his neck in an effort to keep his foot away from his eye, *may* help to decrease trauma and help it heal, if due to irritation.

There are numerous holistic veterinarians in the New York area. You may need to find one that you can work with locally. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

Eye Lid Infection Could be Caused by Insect Bite or Sting
by: Marlyn

Hi Dr. Tillman, I really appreciate your insight and advice on my dog's eye lid problem. Your comment on how the initial swelling could have been caused by an insect bite or sting kind of makes sense. When it swelled up initially the first time it was pretty bad and there is a lump on top of the swollen eye lid which looks like it was caused by a sting or bite. However, thankfully he is not squinting and both his eyes are wide open. The problem is that it healed like 90% and then the swelling came back.

I have contacted a local holistic vet but she may ask that I take him to a conventional vet first to do a physical exam and/or skin tests.

I'm also going to ask for a vaccine exemption letter. When my dog was a 6 month old puppy, he got his first Rabies shot. He had diarrhea and became lethargic. I called my vet right away and he said it had nothing to do with his vaccine shot. I went to my local holistic pet store, got a detox tonic and thankfully he became normal again in a few days. For the past 5 years, I feel like an underground felon for hiding my dog from vaccines. Everywhere you turn,the first thing they ask is "is your dog up to date with his vaccines". I buy pet health insurance but not sure if they will cover him if he is not vaccinated yearly. I may eventually drop it if I find out that its just a waste of money. So hard, when all I want to do is to give my dog a long and healthy life.

by: Marlyn

June 15, 2014

Hi Marilyn,
"take him to a conventional vet first to do a physical exam and/or skin tests."

Sounds like a good place to start.

"ask for a vaccine exemption letter. When my dog was a 6 month old puppy, he got his first Rabies shot. He had diarrhea and became lethargic. I called my vet right away and he said it had nothing to do with his vaccine shot. I went to my local holistic pet store, got a detox tonic and thankfully he became normal again in a few days."

Good for you!

"For the past 5 years, I feel like an underground felon for hiding my dog from vaccines."
No, you are doing what you need to do to keep him healthy!

Regarding the pet insurance, if your dog goes to a holistic veterinarian, and the insurance is for injuries/illness, such as chronic disease, the issue of current vaccinations will not come up. ESPECIALLY, if it is included in his record that he has had an adverse reaction to vaccinations.

Pet Insurance
by: Marlyn

Dr. Tillman:

I've gotten all the suggested supplements to add to my Max's diet but I don't know how much of the Standard Process Immuplex capsule is appropriate. I've started him on 1/2 a capsule, twice a day. Should I continue this or what is the correct dosage?

I've stopped giving him the allergy meds and the Seven Forest Forsythia 18 herbal supplement for now because I feel it is just too much at this point. He threw up a whole meal when I added everything in. It contained more supplements than meat.

I've also ordered raw dog food from Darwin's. They have facilities closer to me in the East Coast and their prices are much better than Primal and Barf. The FDA recently recalled BRAVO raw dog & cat foods for Listeria monocytogenes so I"m skipping that brand. I've read a few reviews on Darwin's food from a couple of review sites and they seem to be a quality product, have you heard of them?

I am having trouble getting in touch with a Holistic vet in my area for some reason. Will keep trying.

Marilyn

My Online Vet Response For: Infected Swollen Dog Eye Lid

June 22, 2014

Hi Marlyn,

"...don't know how much of the Standard Process Immuplex capsule is appropriate. I've started him on 1/2 a capsule, twice a day. Should I continue this or what is the correct dosage?"

If he weighs less than 15 lbs, I would only give 1/4 capsule two times daily. If he is 15-35 lbs, I would give 1/2 capsule two times daily. Although, depending on the situation and the individual dog, I have given higher doses with no problems.

"...stopped giving him the allergy meds and the Seven Forest Forsythia 18 herbal supplement for now because I feel it is just too much at this point. He threw up a whole meal when I added everything in..."
That is ok. It is best to introduce supplements slowly, or maybe just one for 2-3 months, then change to a different one every 3 months. Unless they really start to improve, then stick with the same supplement!

"ordered raw dog food from Darwin's... have you heard of them?"
Yes, Darwin's is a great raw food. Introduce it slowly.

Eye Lid Miraculous Heal
by: Marilyn Y

Hi Dr. Tillman,

Hope you had a good summer. Here's an update on my boy MAX.

As you suggested I took Max to a Holistic vet after my posting 2nd week in July. Believe it or not they are very hard to find in New York City, so I had to go to my neighboring state New Jersey and it took 2 hrs to get there with traffic. The Vet was great, but as I feared the examination was a nightmare. After almost biting the vet he flew off the exam table. While the vet gave him some gas to tranquilize him he started making this screaming noise. The vet assured me that it was normal and just a reaction to the gas, but it was so painful to hear him this way, I would never put him thru this again if I can help it.

The vet said Max had cataracts, and suggested an optometrist specialist. He also did a chiropractic adjustment and prescribed 2 supplements for his eyes. We also took some blood for some really expensive blood test, the vet said we may speculate but still may never know what caused the eye lid infection.

Day after the exam, I took him upstate NY Lake George area for vacation. During that time, I didn't give him any supplements cause he ate something bad off the ground and had diarrhea. But for 2 weeks, daily, I put coconut oil (natural anti-fungal)and a wonderful natural ointment I highly recommend called Marshmellow Mange Mud by Happy Dog Naturals on his infected eye lid area.
Since I am a Reiki practitioner, I also gave him Reiki healing treatments every few days. Between the fresh mountain air and the daily treatments, his eye lid infection got better & finally disappeared.

Can't pin point exactly what contributed the most to heal him, but the Marshmellow Mange Mud I feel is a key factor. It is made to spot kill mites and contains Neem, aloe and other natural ingredients. Only after the first application, there was noticeable difference & reduced swelling of his eye lid. The Happy Dog Natural web site has some great natural products for healing especially for mange.

But of course you can never discount the great healing power of Reiki energy.

Dr Tillman, thank you so much for your help and suggestions. The additional supplements and raw diet is especially helpful. You provide a great service through this site, I am extremely grateful.

Marilyn

My Online Vet Response for: Infected Swollen Dog Lid

September 4, 2014

Hi Marilyn
Thank you so much for your update on Max. I am SO SORRY about Max's experience at a holistic veterinary practice.

I am not sure why a skin scraping or fungal culture was not done to detect mites or ringworm.

I will certainly check out the Marshmallow Mange Mud. It sounds like a good product.

That is wonderful that Max is back to normal now.
And, again, I am so sorry about your ordeal finding a holistic veterinarian and Max's experience there.