Infected Skin around My Dog's Eye

by Robert
(Camarillo, CA USA)

My Lab dog Junior developed an infection around his right eye (pictures attached). No hair is growing around the eye. It is like an open sore which will never heal. He's had it over 8 months.

Have taken him to many vets. Basic theme was he probably has an allergy caused by fleas, but he's not had fleas for most of the time and he's on flea medication (Trifexis). They gave me medication ointments which did not work (Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ophtalmic, Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates Bacitracin Zinc, and Hydrocortizone, and Vetropolycin). I have put OTC ointments on his eye for months. Nothing has worked.

The lesion (or whatever you call it) always develops a black scab for about 3 days and it will either fall of or come off when I wipe it off. It always comes back no matter what I do or the vets do. His eye doesn't seem to be infected but it causes him to blink a lot as the scab grows.

The infected area reacts to Hydrogen Peroxide but Alcohol does does not make the dog react.

The only ointment which "seemed" to have some early affect was the medicine with zinc but it didn't fix it.

None of the vets I have gone to seemed to know what it was. Only one vet said he's seen it before but he was very arrogant and I didn't trust him especially when he said it would take a large amounts of visits to fix it up. He also said it could be allergy related.

I am hoping you can point me to an OTC medicine or a prescription medicine or a treatment. Thanks --Bob

Comments for Infected Skin around My Dog's Eye

My Online Vet Response for: Infected Skin Around My Dog's Eye

April 7, 2015

Hi Bob,

From the photo of Junior's eye, I cannot give you a diagnosis, but from the history and the appearance, I suspect that he may have an auto-immune condition. For the condition to go on for so long, and not responsive to any treatments, I suspect that there may be secondary bacteria/yeast/or mites, making it even more difficult to treat.

Perhaps in the meantime while finding a diagnosis, you could provide Junior with some supportive care.
1. NO dry dog food. Or decrease the amount of dry food, and mix in canned and raw meat. (no raw pork or fish) See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html

2. No more vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian could write an exemption form. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below

3. Immune support:
Canine Whole Body Support by Standard Process available on amazon.com
or try some of these.

4. Apple cider vinegar. Either straight apple cider vinegar or diluted with water 50:50, applied to the skin area only, (not in the eye), one time daily for 3-6 weeks, which may help for any secondary yeast infection.

5. Homeopathic remedies, there are some that would be helpful, but best prescribed by a holistic veterinarian to examine Junior in person.