Infected Area Around Dog's Eyes

by Matthew D.
(Rivererside, NJ, USA)

Swollen red area around dog's eyes

Swollen red area around dog's eyes

The area around my dog’s eye appears to be swollen and infected. I think she may have cut the area by nosing into our composter.

She is on a special diet as her body can’t metabolize proteins. She is a twelve year old Labrador-Border collie mix, weighing about 35 pounds.

Is there anything I can do to help her?

Thanks so much.

Comments for Infected Area Around Dog's Eyes

My Online Vet Response for: Infected Area Around Dog's Eyes

January 11, 2014

Hi Matt,

From the photo of your dog, her eye swelling may been caused from an injury, but with her restrictive diet, and age, (12 years old), she may have a weakened immune system making her more susceptible to an infection in the eyelid area, such as Demodex mites,, bacteria, or a fungus/yeast condition.

If she is continuing to rub the eye, I would be concerned that she may scratch her cornea, and cause more swelling and inflammation of her eyelids. In fact, she may have poked something into her eye in the compost pile, and her rubbing her eye is what caused all the swelling and inflammation of her lids.

Take her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. She can be examined for a corneal abrasion, and also have a skin scraping done to rule out Demodex. She may need to wear an E-collar around her neck to prevent her from causing more trauma.

In the meantime, rinse her eye profusely with a saline solution, available over the counter at a pharmacy. You can put a few drops of sweet almond oil or olive oil into her eye to soothe the cornea. And then get an E-collar, if needed, to prevent her from rubbing her eye.