How to Give Dog Pill

My vet diagnosed my dog as having a staph infection on his nose. I've been giving him antibiotics in pill form for a few weeks now, but it has been a struggle.

How can I make it easier to feed him this disgusting-odor pill? I've tried treats but they crumble and are too hard. Thank you for the help!

Comments for How to Give Dog Pill

Online Instructions to give dog medicine with a pill

Hi,
If it has been several weeks of giving this antibiotic and your dog's nose has not improved, it may be better to seek out a second opinion from a holistic veterinarian. The question would be, why did your dog get a Staph infection in the first place?

Giving antibiotics long term can also cause other problems in the body, such as destroying all of the beneficial bacteria in the gut.

A holistic veterinarian will examine your whole dog, give you suggestions on improving the diet, improving the immune system, the emotional well being, and any other aspect that may be causing stress and creating an 'imbalance' or disease in your dog.

I would suggest stopping the antibiotic, and looking for a holistic veterinarian in your area.
In the column on the left, click on Alternative Care under Health/Wellness, and then go down to Homeopathy (or click here to go directly there).

To give a pill to a dog in food, you can use a hot dog, cut into sections, and hide the pill in one of the sections. Give 1-2 pieces of 'plain' hot dog first, then give the one with the pill.

Or a banana also works, if your dog likes bananas, using the same technique as the hot dog.

Coating the pill with peanut butter or almond butter will also work, but you sometimes need to open your dogs mouth, and stick the 'coated' pill down toward the back of the mouth at the base of the tongue, close the mouth quickly, and blow in his nose. The air blowing in a dog's nose sometimes gives them an involuntary reflex to swallow.

Or you can buy Pill Pockets that are yummy treats for dogs (or cats) that have a hollowed out center for a pill.

- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section