Horrible Open Sore on Pet Rat

by Peggy
(Uxbridge, ON)

Nasty open sore on Pet Rat

Nasty open sore on Pet Rat

Nasty open sore on Pet Rat
second sore on Pet Rat

Our pet rat seems otherwise healthy, but while bathing Cocoa yesterday, we found 2 open sores....see photos above. Cocoa is 2 years old.

We haven't done anything at this point since we just found them yesterday. Your suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

Comments for Horrible Open Sore on Pet Rat

My Online Vet Response for: Horrible Open Sore on Pet Rat

August 4, 2014

Hi Peggy,
From the photo of this open sore, this should be treated as an open wound, and not sutured closed. If Cocoa is able to reach the area, he/she may need to wear a small homemade 'e-collar' to keep his/her mouth away.

Use a diluted betadine solution, dilute it to the color of strong ice tea. If you can get access to a syringe to flush the wound with the betadine, that would be great. Otherwise, you may be able to use an eyedropper, but it will take you more time to flush as well, since you cannot put much pressure in the eye dropper.

Flush the wound at least 2 times daily.

Keep it open and clean with peroxide, (in between the flushings), for another 5-7 days. The goal is to have the inner most part heal first, and the skin to heal last.

This may have occurred from a bite wound. I am not sure if Cocoa is housed with another rat or not? If there is a possibility that it is a bite wound, then I suggest that you start the homeopathic remedy, Silicea 12C or 30C, one pellet dissolve in 2 oz of Spring Water, and give him/her 1/2 dropperful by mouth two times daily for the next 2-3 weeks.

Although, if it is worse, and Cocoa stops eating and becomes lethargic, PLEASE take him/her to a holistic veterinarian ASAP.

Thank You
by: Peggy

Thanks Dr. Tillman, will give it a try!!!!