Homemade Food for Greyhounds

by Maureen

I have taken my greyhounds off of kibble for the last three days and they are doing great. No more diarrhea or passing gas! I did a lot of extensive research and found no two set of feeding guidelines are the same.

The biggest concern I have right now is how much to feed them each day. Here is what I am feeding them, please tell me if this looks ok...

Both dogs are three years old, one male, one female. Good healthy weights of 70-72 pounds each, though if they each gained a pound or two, it wouldn't hurt. It's a pleasure to walk them and not have to carry home giant stinking bags of poop!

Breakfast. They scarf this right up, each dog gets:
3 oz canned pumpkin
3 oz ground beef, raw
2 eggs
2T whole milk yogurt
1T flax meal
3/4tsp solid gold sea meal

2 raw chicken backs, each one averaging 8-10 oz.

I found some consensus on doing two weeks of chicken backs, then adding in turkey necks. Twice a week I plan to substitute half a can of sardines for the ground beef.

I am using the pumpkin because they are already familiar with it, will introduce other veggies along the way.

I am feeding the yolks raw but cooking the whites and had already been supplementing their kibble with ground raw beef and raw chicken wings, so they are having no problem with what they are getting now.

My female looks a little bit like she thinks eating human food is a trap, but after a little sweet talking over the bowl, she chows down. My husband and I are grain and legume free, but if you think I should, I will give the dogs a little rice or beans. And lastly, I am tired of paying through the nose for kibble!

We adopted through Golden State and our male is due for his annual. My plan is to make an appointment with you, Dr. Tillman, after one month of raw feeding so you can give me some feedback in person.

Comments for Homemade Food for Greyhounds

My Online Vet Response for: Homemade Food for Greyhounds

Hi Maureen,

The diet plan you have outlined looks great and appears to be very well balanced. The one problem I see is that it does not contain enough calories.

Greyhounds have a fast metabolism, and usually have a difficult time keeping on weight. According to a standard breed chart for number of calories required for a 70-72 lb dog, they should eat 1,100 calories per day. Or, 550 calories per meal. A Greyhound (especially, at a younger age of 3 years old) may need to eat MORE to maintain the same weight.

Adding up the AM calories, the morning meal would provide only 388 calories. The evening meal would be about 500 calories (or more depending on the size of the chicken backs).

You mentioned that you were open to adding in some grains, such as rice to each meal. 1 cup of white rice is 100 calories. So, you might want to consider adding rice to increase the calories.

If both dogs maintain their weight at 70lbs on this diet of less than 1,000 calories per day, then that should be fine. Dogs, just like people, are all individual! If they start to get too thin, and lose weight, then you will know you need to increase the calorie count. It is best to adjust the number of calories to each dog!

It will be a pleasure to meet you and your greyhounds!

- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section

by: shannon

We have a 2 year old Greyhuahua. Fast as lightning doesn't love dog food. What do you recommend for home made foods and % daily recommendation of protein,fat,etc

February 17, 2015

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

RE: Homemade Food for Greyhounds NEW
by: Ophelia

Thank you for the information! After searching the internet I'm still having a hard time clearing something up:

"50% protein
25% grain
25% vegetables"

Is this by weight, or volume? 2 cups meat, 1 cup grain and 1 cup veggies is very different than 2 lb meat, 1 lb grain and 1 lb veggies. My dog likes it both ways but I want to give him what's best for him.

Places in Bangalore

My Online Vet Response For: Homemade Food for Greyhounds NEW

August 4, 2015

Dear Ophelia,
At this time, I am no longer answering questions online. But you can find homemade recipes for dogs in Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. Otherwise, it would be best to take your dog to a veterinarian or, better yet, find a local holistic veterinarian to help.

Take care