Homemade Dog Food - Balanced Nutrition Diet?

by Sarah W.
(Phoenix, AZ, USA)

I've been doing hours and hours of homemade dog food research for the last couple weeks for my beloved Lady, a 10 lb. 7 month old chihuahua (possibly mixed with Brittany Spaniel, by her looks).

The first meal I tried for her didn't work out well, and led to excessive vomiting and diarrhea. I only fed it to her for two days and figured out my problem quickly.

First, it wasn't a balanced meal and I started off by thinking every day needed to be the same food. Second, I didn't change it gradually, which I should have. It consisted of ground turkey, pureed veggies, and brown rice.

After doing a lot of research on different ways to feed your dog a homemade diet, I decided that I don't want to do RAW/BARF, and that I would rather add supplements that provide the necessary nutrients with everything being cooked.

Since she is still a puppy and a small dog, I was going to feed her 1/2 cup at 8:30AM before work, 1/3 cup around 5PM (I've noticed she is always hungry and thirsty when I take her out from crate after work), and 1/2 cup at 8PM. Is this enough food?

Here is the percentages of each daily portion (ALL COOKED, veggies also pureed):

-50 Percent Protein (made up of 80% cooked meat, 20% dairy/Boiled Eggs)
-20 Percent Carbs (made up of 50% grains, 40% starchy vegetables, 10% beans)
-20 Percent Veggies (70% root & stalk, 30% leafy greens)
-10 Percent Boiled Hearts & Gizzards (organ meat)

I will chose one item for each category and change it daily or weekly (ONE DAY, for example, ground turkey and one hard boiled egg, brown rice and cooked sweet potatoes and black beans, cooked & pureed broccoli and spinach, and boiled heart & gizzard). SECOND DAY, for example (cut up cooked chicken and low fat cottage cheese, rolled oat and cooked sweet potatoes and kidney beans, cooked and pureed carrots and spinach).

In addition to each daily meal, I will also provide 2 Tablespoons of a recipe for nutrients, which consists of Brewer's Yeast, Oat Bran, Kelp Powder, Alfalfa Powder, Lecithin Granules, and Bone Meal. In addition to that recipe, I will give her healthy oils. I will add 1/2 TBS cold pressed unfiltered vegetable oil (probably olive oil), 200mg cod liver oil, and 100IU Vitamin E. As far as the oils go, do these need to be added daily, or can I add them for example 2 days of the week?

I may add on occasion a teaspoon of raw, organic honey, and also on occasion, 10mg daily of Iron (crushed up pill). How often should I do this?

I hope this wasn't too confusing, I just want to make sure everything is balanced enough for my little one to be strong and healthy! How long can I use this diet for? Years? Or only a few months before I have to figure out new calculations and percentages and all that?

Look forward to hearing back!!
Sarah

Comments for Homemade Dog Food - Balanced Nutrition Diet?

My Online Vet Response for: Homemade Dog Food-Balanced Nutrition Diet?

Hi Sarah,
You have obviously spent a lot of time and energy researching what a balanced diet would be for your puppy! GREAT JOB!

The protein is good, the Calcium to Phosphorus ratio looks right, not too much Vitamin A since you are not giving liver every day.

One suggestion... make sure you are feeding adequate calories for your 10 lb puppy. A 10 lb dog will need 250 calories per day. Maybe a little more for the first year, since she needs enough for growth and energy expenditures.

The rest of the diet can be fed for her whole life. I would suggest after she reaches one year of age, have a blood panel done to make sure that she is healthy and she is being fed an adequate diet.

- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section