Holistic Treatment for Dog Corneal Ulcers After Failed Conventional Treatment

by Cynthia

Our 12 year old mini poodle has been treated 4 times this year for corneal ulcer on his left eye. His vet treated him the first three times with eye drops (Atropine Sulfate Opth. Solution)and an ointment. Each time the condition improved for a few weeks, treatment was stopped and then the condition returned

within a few weeks.

The fourth time this year that the ulcer returned was about a month ago. Since then, the vet has continued the eye drop treatment and also begun to make a serum from the dog's blood that is put into the dog's eye daily.

There is no sign of improvement.

It should be said that the dog had a back injury early this year and was prescribed a steroid (pill form) that he took fo rquite some time. He also was presribed Tramadol.

This dog is the beloved pet of my 80 year old mother. My mother doesn't recall the exact medications given to the dog.

The vet recently told my mother that the dog should possibly be treated for dry eyes.
My mother has spent almost $2000 on this condition this year and is beginning to worry about the ongoing expense of this condition.

Can holistic treatment possibly improve our dog's condition and is there something that we could do to get to the bottom of this heartbreaking condition as soon as possible?

Thank you,
Cynthia

Comments for Holistic Treatment for Dog Corneal Ulcers After Failed Conventional Treatment

My Online Vet Response for: Holistic Treatment for Dog Corneal Ulcers After Failed Conventional Treatment

October 22, 2013
Hi Cynthia,

Certainly holistic veterinary medicine may help heal the cornea. But I think this may require a call to a veterinary ophthalmologist. A recurrent ulcer should be examined by a specialist.

1. Did it first start due to an injury to the eye?
2. Is there something impeding healing? Such as ingrown eyelashes, self-trauma, dry eye condition, corneal dystrophy...etc.
3. Is there an underlying immune system imbalance, such as diabetes, Cushing's Disease, kidney or liver disease, or other auto-immune system disease?
If the dog had been on steroids for a long time due to a back injury, this may have triggered one of the above problems.
4. Diet is very important. Nutritional deficiencies can cause a delay in healing.

I am surprised the conventional veterinarian did not refer you to an ophthalmologist after the second 'failed' attempt to heal the corneal ulcer!

As I mentioned, holistic treatment can certainly be useful. In fact, the main remedy I will recommend for treatment of 'uncomplicated' corneal ulcers is Silicea 12C or 30C. Homeopathic remedies can be given by mouth either as the dry pellet, or dissolved in Spring Water and given with an eye dropper, by mouth. Two to three times daily for 3 days. But if ingrown eyelashes are continuing to rub on the cornea, then the ulcer will return. Or if there is some underlying disease causing an imbalance in the immune system, then it will not heal.