Harness Rash on Dog's Armpits

by Maria
(Honolulu, HI, USA )

Today we took my dog to the dog beach for the first time, and she was wearing her harness as she was swimming. She now has rashes only under her "armpits" on both sides (see photos).

They are obviously irritated, but she doesn't seem to be bothered by them. She only licks at them every now and then. She will wear her harness, and shows no signs of major distress when she walks either, with the rashes. She does not want me to touch them, of course though, so they're obviously sensitive.

How can I take care of the rash?

I'm worried that they will become infected, or that they will become painful. I've used harnesses on her before, and this is the first rash I've seen on her.

She is a Chihuahua/MinPin mix, and is less than a year old.

Comments for Harness Rash on Dog's Armpits

My Online Vet Response for: Harness Rash on Dog's Armpits

June 4, 2013

Hi Maria,

Here are some suggestions that might help your little female Chihuahua/Min Pin heal faster and feel more comfortable.

Living in Hawaii where it is hot and humid, you need to keep her skin clean and dry.

No swimming in the ocean until she is healed.

Bathe her with a baby shampoo, such as Johnson & Johnson, or an oatmeal shampoo, one to two times per week for the next 3 weeks.

Make her wear a soft baby T-shirt at all times to prevent her from licking or scratching the area.

Do not put her harness on her for at least 2 weeks to help it heal. If you need to use the harness, put it on OVER the top of the T-shirt.

NO Toxic flea or tick products should be applied to her skin.

You can apply diluted Rescue Remedy to her skin. Make up the Rescue Remedy (for humans, which does contain alcohol), by putting 20 drops in a 3-4 oz pump spray bottle and fill with Spring Water. Spray this on her skin whenever you remove her T-shirt. You can spray it as often as needed to 'calm' down her skin. If she licks it, it will also help to calm her down. Store in the refrigerator so it will be cool, this will also help to cool off her skin.

You should see less redness and less itching in 3-4 days, if not sooner. If the area is MORE red, swollen or appears more painful, please take her in for treatment! A holistic veterinarian would be best.

internet privacy NEW

actually it's fantastic as well as well suited for a person. it is actually simply significantly. keep developing as well as with regards to. get pleasure from regarding speaking about a very good write-upinternet privacy.