Hairless Dry Patch on Kitten's Left Ear

by Mary-Jane
(Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)

My kitten who is about 12 weeks old has a very dry patch on her left ear. The texture is almost elephant-skin like and hair does not grow there.

It doesn't appear to be painful or itchy as she is never paying any attention to it, but I've never seen that before so I'm not sure if there is something I need to do about it.

Comments for Hairless Dry Patch on Kitten's Left Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Hairless Dry Patch on Kitten's Left Ear

June 20, 2014

Hi Mary-Jane,
In a 12 week old kitten, with hair loss on the ear, my first suspicion is *ringworm*, which is caused by a fungus. Typical strains are Microsporum canis and Trichophyton mentagrophytes.

Since it IS contagious to humans, I advise that you take your kitten to a veterinarian to have her diagnosed and treated as soon as possible. Children and immuno-suppressed adults are the most susceptible. It is spread by *direct* contact and *indirect* contact. (Indirect contact means that anything she is in contact with, and then that object touches you, will spread the fungus to you.)

Stress from a recent vaccination, dry cat food, or toxins, such as a flea/tick prevention can be a trigger. A holistic veterinarian can diagnose and prescribe some more natural treatments, and more specific precautions you can take to stop the spread, if it is a fungus.