Hair Loss, Rash and Skin Irritation on English Bulldog

by Stephanie S.
(Atlanta, Georgia)

Yesterday my boyfriend and I noticed a hard spot on the right side of our 4 year old all white English Bulldog male's face where the hair was stuck together. Around it he had hair loss as well. He has not been scratching it and I don't even think he notices it.

He is still playful and his appetite has not changed. His bowel movements are regular but I have been bad at using the same rag I use to wipe his paws and body to wipe his face. Please tell me what to do.

Comments for Hair Loss, Rash and Skin Irritation on English Bulldog

My Online Vet Response for: Hair Loss, Rash and Skin Irritation on English Bulldog

Hi Stephanie,
It appears that your English Bulldog may have a skin fold dermatitis. This is a superficial bacterial infection of the hair follicles located within a skin fold. Since Bulldogs have a lot of wrinkles, they are very prone to this condition.

It may not be related to using the same cloth to clean his feet and his face, but keeping him clean is of the utmost importance. If he is bathed, you must take care to dry all of the skin fold areas, and consider using an astringent such as witch hazel in the folds.

Other treatments to consider would be to boost his immune system with supplements, give fewer vaccinations, and feed him an optimal diet.

Ideally, taking him to a holistic veterinarian to also check his skin for mange mites, ringworm/yeast/fungus would be the best course of action at this time.

Fish Oil

Hi,

My dog had a similar problem, and I started to give her 2 capsules of fish oil in her food every day. I puncture the capsules and squirt the oil onto her food.

Within a month, her skin was healed, hair began to grow back, and she stopped scratching and biting her skin. My dog weighs about 60 lbs. If yours is significantly smaller, you may be able to administer one capsule a day instead of two. I get the most inexpensive fish oil for humans at my grocery store.

Hope that helps you.

Thank you for your tip regarding fish oils and the positive experience you had using it on your dog. Fish oil, Omega 3 fatty acids, are beneficial for reducing itching, dry skin, and some nutritional deficiencies. If this English Bulldog is diagnosed with a skin fold dermatitis, I am not sure if fish oil would help.

But thank you again for your suggestion.