Hair Loss around dog's mouth, both sides

by Inbal
(Brooklyn, NY)

Wesley's skin on mouth corners

Wesley's skin on mouth corners

Wesley's skin on mouth corners
Wesly's skin on chest
Wesley's skin - chin bumps
Wesley's skin - corner of mouth

I rescued Wesley from the ACC shelter about a month ago. He's a black, 40 pounds, lab/collie mix, 1 and a half years old.

Please bear with me as I provide you with a detailed health history since then...

He came with a kennel cough and was on Doxy for 10 days, after which I have taken him to the vet for an overall check-up. He came to me extremely thin, and although his coat was shiny, he had noticeable white flakes, or dandruff on his coat. I of course changed his diet, and he's now eating Orijin (poultry and fish formula).

He has good appetite, very active, alert and extremely friendly. The dandruff gradually disappeared and is very mild now.

After his check-up, I was told he has a hookworm infection and the vet put him on a 3 course treatment of Pancur (to be followed three weeks after the initial treatment). He was also given a topical solution (revolution) for fleas, ticks, heartworms, etc.

Following the first treatment, I noticed hair loss/thinning around his mouth (I've attached a few pictures) that is gradually expanding. And I've also noticed small pimple like bumps on his chin. His overall body hair loss is INSANE.

I have raised dogs all my life and have never seen such excessive hair loss (even though I brush him everyday with the furminator). He also has thinning hair in the back of his ears and on his chest. He doesn't scratch excessively at all, which is what is so puzzling to me.

However, he does have a tendency to lick his paws and I can see his front paws are red. He also has hair loss on both armpits.

Its important to note that his skin is not inflamed or red at all. One last thing, which I'm not sure whether is related, but he used to shake his ears a lot in the beginning, but now not so often. Would love to hear your expert opinion.

Please help :)

Comments for Hair Loss around dog's mouth, both sides

My Online Vet Response for: Hair loss around dog's mouth, both sides

Hi Inbal,
From all the photos you submitted, I can only see details on the first one. It appears that Wesley has Demodectic mange, with some canine acne. See our page regarding Demodectic mites to learn more about the condition.

He was not healthy when you adopted him, being underweight, with kennel cough and hookworms. And I am sure that he also was vaccinated and neutered (which is a major surgery) before he was released from the shelter. This would have put even more STRESS on his weakened immune system.

Take him to either a conventional veterinarian or a holistic veterinarian for a skin scraping to diagnose Demodex. At this point, I am very concerned that his condition may become 'generalized', which is a VERY serious problem. You have described hair loss on his face/mouth, ears, chest, armpits and feet. So, it sounds like the mange is spreading.

Continue the improved Orijens diet (which is a DRY DOG FOOD), but also consider the addition of some raw meat into his diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options. Since he needs to have MORE moisture come from the food.

Whatever you do, DO NOT continue any of the 'toxic' flea/tick products. Check out more natural flea/tick protection such as EVOLV made from Cedar oil. And DO NOT give him any more vaccinations.

Update on Wesley
by: Inbal

Hi Dr. Tillman,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Wesley has seen the vet today. She took a scrape sample from the skin around his mouth. Results showed NO mites but she said according to what she's seen, just because no mites were seen, doesn't mean there aren't any.

I also asked whether it might be ringworm and she says it doesn't seem like it or fits the symptoms.

She gave us a local ointment to put on the area (Pyoben gel 30g) for 10 days once a day.
On my end, I started him on omega 3 and 6 fish oil yesterday and ordered a holistic blend seagreens, which I'd start today (it has probiotics and other vitamins and I was told it does wonders to the immune system).

I've also recently added raw food diet freeze to his meals and he loves it.

As for the thinning hair on armpits and back side of ears, the vet told us she strongly believes that's his natural coat structure (as I mentioned in my original query, the skin there is soft, pink and not even slightly irritated).

As for the hair thinning around his chest, she said it could be the result of the harness rubbing on it, as she hasn't seen any problematic skin there.

What concerns me now is having to continue the Pancur treatment for his hookworm infection (second and final round) in about a week and a half. I fear this may worsen the localized mange.

I will definitely stop the flea/tick monthly caps and switch to cedar oil. I'm however not sure what to do about dewormers because she said if I don't do revolution, I should at least consider heart-guard to eliminate any possible heartworm or hookworm problems.

Thanks again,
Wesley and Inbal

Hi Inbal,
Thank you for the progress report. I agree with your veterinarian that a negative skin scraping does not totally rule out mange. Also, his symptoms do not fit ringworm.

The pyoben should help the canine acne on his chin.

You are on the right track with boosting his immune system now. Although, Omega 3 fish oils are good for the skin, the Omega 6 fish oils are not. If you can give him JUST Omega 3 fish oils, that would be better.

The holistic seagreens sound good.

You should also check these products for boosting the immune system:

I am not sure what you are giving him with the 'RAW Diet Freeze'. Fresh raw meat would be best, no RAW Pork or RAW fish though.

The Panacur should be ok for the last dose in a few weeks, since you will be boosting his immune system. Heartgard would be ok. You can give it every 45 days, and it will still provide protection.

Also, using the Cedar oil will be a big help for his skin.

I think he may need some homeopathic remedies in the next few weeks, but that would be best prescribed by a local veterinarian who will be 'on-site' to monitor the case.

Hair Loss/Dog's Mouth
by: Sher

Hi, Inbal -

Thank you for your post. My dog - also black, border collie/lab mix, 1 1/2 years old and about 40 lbs! - has this same condition. We are taking her to the vet on Wednesday. This is very useful information, and we are very appreciative for the guidance given by both vets on this site.

Good luck,

Sher

Wesley's progress
by: Inbal

Hi Sher, I'm glad you found the info helpful. Just a quick update: my boy is doing GREAT! He did have localized mange but with immune boosters ( I give him digestive enzymes with probiotics daily by Ark Naturals) and raw patties by Stella and Chewy, as well as salmon fish oil, there's NO sign of the mange. It's took it about 3 months to completely go away, but it worked! And its worth it, rather than applying all the traditional chemicals. Also, the first 6 weeks I bathed him one a week with a natural shampoo called "Defendex". You may want to google it. It also did wonders to his skin and coat. Another thing you may want to check for is parasites. Wesley had hook worms and that devastated his immune system. Just give your vet a fecal sample. It's an easy treatment.
Hope this help

HELP ME

did u ever Figure Out what this was? My dog has exactly this!! Just around his mouth though . Patches ofhair loss

hair loss around muzzle
by: Inbal

Hi all, yes, we did manage to figure out the cause of the hair loss around the muzzle. It was never localized mange. We thought it was initially because it went away by winter time, but came back again around the summer (same months we saw it originally). This made me think it could be something seasonal. The short story is it ended up being allergy on contact. My dog is allergic to ragweed. You see, the way it works is the allergens go on their paws, after which they scratch their face area, hence the hair loss. The remedy is quite simple and cheap and I promise you, you will not see anymore hair loss. I simply wipe his paws and face down with a hypoallergenic doggie wipes when we get home from the outside, especially in high season (from April to October). He never had it this year :) My friend's dog suffered from the same thing, she followed what I do and no more hair loss. I hope this info helps.

My Online Vet Response for: Hair Loss around dog's mouth, both sides

January 16, 2015

Hi Inbal,
Thank you so much for reporting back with an update on your dog's hair loss. I am glad that you were able to find an easy solution!

" wipe his paws and face down with a hypoallergenic doggie wipes when we get home from the outside, especially in high season (from April to October)."

This will certainly be a great tip for others with the same problem!