Growths on dog's front paw pads

Growth in the middle of the pad

Growth in the middle of the pad

Growth in the middle of the pad
Growth in the middle of the pad
First growth
Most recent growth

About a month ago I noticed a growth on the side of one of the toe pads (it almost looks like a smaller extra nail in its shape and placement). I took the dog to the vet, and the vet thought it looked benign, so we decided to wait and see what happens.

Since then, I have found a flat growth in the middle of the pad on the same paw and another much smaller growth on the toe pad of the another paw. It looks like they are getting bigger from within. In other words, the original growths are staying the same but they are getting bumped up from within, as if someting is coming out (you can see in the picture that's titled "First growth" - it's almost like the nail-like growth is sitting on a bump.

I am trying vitamin E, but I am not sure if this is something that needs to be treated or removed. I would prefer not to cut into his paws, but I want to make sure that it's not dangerous to his health or an indicator of something serious.

He is 6 years old and not being treated for anything else, so I am not sure why his immune system would be weak.

Is there a non-surgical way to treat this, or is it something potentially dangerous that has to be removed?

Comments for Growths on dog's front paw pads

My Online Vet Response for: Growths on dog's front paw pads

Hello,
From the photos you submitted of your male dog's front feet/toe pads, the 'growths' you are describing appear to be fungal 'excresences'.

Definitely NOT to be treated surgically... they are more likely to be due to either superficial fungal or yeast type infection, although in the last photo there may be some bacterial involvement.

You asked whether this could be due to a weakened immune system. If your dog has been on a poor diet, for example a DRY DOG FOOD, all of his life, combined with too many vaccinations, this would compromise his immune system and certainly make him more susceptible to skin problems.

At this point, I would suggest that you use a vinegar 'foot' bath for him. One to two times daily, for each front foot. Keep a close watch on the hind feet, as this might also occur on the back feet too.

You will need to soak each foot for 5 minutes or so, then dry without rinsing off the vinegar. If the odor is TOO strong, then dilute the 'foot bath' 50-50 vinegar and water. This will need to be done for at least 3 weeks.

A homeopathic remedy that will help is called Thuya occidentalis. You can buy this in dry pellet form at Health Food stores in 6c potency. You can give him one pellet by mouth TWO times daily for 3 weeks.

You are not supposed to touch the pellets with your fingers. The container is made so that you can pour one pellet into the lid, then (for a human), you would put it into your mouth to dissolve under the tongue.

In my patients, it is sometimes easier to dissolve one pellet into a 1 or 2 oz dropper bottle in Spring Water. Succuss the bottle (hit the bottom of the bottle against the palm of your other hand) 20 times, before each dose. In this way you'd be giving it in a liquid form into his mouth with the eye dropper.

To improve the diet, check our page on 10 Best Dog food options. Consider gradually changing from a DRY dog food, to a canned or RAW diet.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Growths on dog's front paw pads PART TWO

Hello,
Here is the rest of my response.

At 6 years of age, consider having a holistic veterinarian write an exemption form to decrease (or stop) the frequency of any future vaccinations.