Growths on Dog

by Maureen

Forehead Growth 1

Forehead Growth 1

Forehead Growth 1
Forehead Growth 2
Stomach Growth

My dog, Cali, has some growths we are concerned about. We probably first noticed the growths about six months ago.

She has one that is oval, pink and smooth on her stomach (3rd photo above) that's maybe about 3/4".

I'm more concerned about one on her forehead. It is smaller and round (about 1/2" circumference) and bumpy. It had been pink for the past months but just today I noticed it had turned black and dry looking. I thought maybe this was a good sign and that it was going to dry out and fall off but I wanted to get some feedback. (The head growth is pictured in the first 2 photos above)

Cali is almost 11 and about 40 pounds, a Belgian Tervuran mix.

Thanks so much. Maureen

Comments for Growths on Dog

My Online Vet Response for Growths on Dog

Hi Maureen,
Cali has warts. Older dogs (you said she was 11 years old, Belgian Tervuran Shepherd mix) will commonly grow these benign warty growths as they age. See our page on dog warts for more information.

If she is not scratching, itching or chewing at them, and she is not a breed that goes to the groomer often to get clipped, I would not worry about them.

Surgical removal just seems to trigger the growth of new ones. They seem to be caused by over vaccinations. At her age, consider having antibody titers done, instead of a vaccination. (See our page on minimal dog vaccination schedules.

I would suggest an appointment for Cali with a holistic veterinarian, to treat her homeopathically. This way, her whole body is treated to become healthier, not just the warts, which will also help to remove. Improvement in diet would also be helpful... see our page on the Best Dog Food diets, even considering a raw diet, and a holistic veterinarian will be able to guide you.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: