Growth or Wart on Dog

by Brett

Kevin, my 3 year old lab/ mastiff mix grew what looks like a mole or wart. The growth started within 30 days and has appeared to plateaued at the size seen in the picture.

My question is, what is it? Is it a concern? Can it spread? Should I have it removed?

I live in a little outside of Portola, CA in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I chose to not vaccinate him for the first time this year. He has been eating Diamond Natural lamb mix (I know it is not the best, money is an issue and I can not seem to find anything comparable within 10-15% of the price). We live a very active and healthy life. Kevin (the dog in question) commonly finds bones in the woods, eats random grasses in the river and drinks the fresh water streams commonly.

Thank you much,

Comments for Growth or Wart on Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Growth or Wart on Dog

November 26, 2014

Hi Brett,
The photos of Kevin, show that he has a wart on top of his head. These appear after a vaccination, in those individuals who are susceptible to the effects of 'vaccinosis'. It is best to treat homeopathically.

Check out this month's newsletter on VACCINOSIS!

You made the right decision NOT to vaccinate him this year. In fact, if you can locate a holistic veterinarian to write a vaccine exemption form for Kevin, to avoid future vaccines, would be best.

Check out our page on Dog Warts for more info,

Diet is VERY important. You are correct, that *Diamond Natural lamb mix* (I am assuming it is DRY), is not very healthy. If possible, you could improve Kevin's diet by adding 2-3 TBSP of raw meat to his dry food. NO RAW pork or RAW fish, but chicken, turkey, beef or lamb would be fine. Actually, if you were able to find the Diamond Natural in a canned form or just a 'healthier' canned food, (no preservatives, no artificial colors, no additives) would be even better. And then make each meal about 1/3 dry, 1/3 canned, and 1/3 raw. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,

If you are unable to find a holistic veterinarian locally, I can try to 'coach' you along online to treat Kevin's wart.