Growth on Underside of Dog's Ear

by Lisa
(Council Bluffs, Iowa)

This growth with rigid (not smooth) surface appeared about 3 weeks ago. Two or 3 days prior I gave Penny a bath and I would have thought I would have noticed it then so I'm thinking it must be fast growing?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it might be darker or there are more of the blackish dots in it? It's located on the inside (underside) of her left ear on the very tip (photo includes my thumb for sizing).

Penny is a female dachshund mix born 12-26-10 (almost a Christmas baby). She doesn't get a lot of exercise in the winter but once spring is here she loves to run around my Mom's yard all day chasing bunny rabbits and squirrels.

Penny has separation anxiety and I drop her off at my moms Mon-Fri for 9-10hrs a day. I thought getting another dog, Lilly a longhaired min dachshund in Aug, would help her with that but Penny was extremely mean to Lilly in the beginning and always dominating her. They kind of play at times now but I know Penny doesn't really like her.

Anyway they both kind of eat Blue Buffalo wilderness... I say kind of because I know my mom feeds them table scraps during the day and I will boil them chicken sometimes if I see they're not eating their dry food, so I'm sure they know that and just wait me out.

I've tried all kinds of different food in an attempt to find something Penny likes but she must be a really picky eater. I've only bought them good food, nothing from the grocery store (the 4 D's) but nothing they seem to really like.

Penny's up to date on all her vaccines and that was done almost a year ago, so she is due again. Penny is spoiled rotten, but I don't have any kids so who better to give all my love:)

I'm really hoping this is just a wart and it will all be over soon. Oh she is spayed and had that laser surgery when she was 6 mo old. I hope I gave enough details and didn't ramble too much.

Comments for Growth on Underside of Dog's Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on Underside of Dog's Ear

Hi Lisa,

Love your manicure!! As for Penny, this is a wart. It is not unusual to see warts appear when a dog is 2-3 years old after they have had several vaccinations. Vaccinations, when administered inappropriately, may cause a syndrome which we call 'vaccinosis' in holistic medicine. And one of the symptoms, is the formation of warts, tumors, growths, etc.

DO NOT give her any more vaccinations. Locate a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form.

Also, you must not feed her (or Lily), DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider Raw diet.

For treatment of the wart, separation anxiety, and jealousy(?)towards Lily:

1. Give her 2 Bach flowers: Rescue Remedy and Holly. Add two drops of each into her water bowl daily for the next 3-6 weeks. Then as needed for jealousy and anxiety. (It is OK for Lily to drink from the same bowl. The Rescue Remedy will help calm down her 'nerves' too!)

2. Give Penny Thuya 12c TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks. This is a homeopathic remedy, the full name is Thuya occidentalis (or sometimes spelled Thuja). If you cannot find the 12c potency, then give the 6c potency.

To prepare it, dissolve one pellet in a 2 oz glass dropper bottle filled with Spring Water. Give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily. 'Shake' the bottle by hitting it 20 times against the palm of your hand, before each dose. This is called 'succussing' the remedy.

3. Contact a holistic veterinarian for the exemption form for vaccinations. And read this page to learn more about vaccinations for animals. Dog Vaccination Schedule : Holistic Vs. Conventional Approach

P.S. Click here for Penny's follow up...and the continued dialoge with Dr. Tillman. The ear growth has continued to increase in size.

- Dog Warts
- Dog Skin Conditions