Growth on Terrier's Eye

by Leah
(Messongo, VA)

My dog Merf who is a 15 pound 8 year old terrier mix, probably fox terrier and jack Russell, has had this growth on his eye for a few years. It slowly grew bigger and never seemed to bother him.

At our last vet visit I asked the vet about it and he told me to apply a hot compress for 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off for 25 minutes twice a day. So I did that for a few weeks and nothing seemed to change. Sometimes it would look like it was getting a white head on it but it never popped. So a few months later it seems to have gotten even bigger very quickly. It still doesn't seem to bother him but it's getting so big I think it might be in his field of vision.

About Merf in general: We feed him all organic dry food and he gets lots of exercise and love. He can be a little high strung and he is very attached to me. He is our only dog who will cry when he sees me grab my purse. And he whines a lot when he thinks he is going somewhere and in the car. He is a compulsive licker, he loves to lick his front legs when he is laying down.

Sometimes he has trouble with straining when he poops, but those times I feed him pumpkin with his food and the problem goes away. Other than that and this eye growth he is a healthy boy.

Thanks for your help!

Comments for Growth on Terrier's Eye

My Online Vet Response For: Growth on Terrier's Eye

December 12, 2014

Hi Leah,
From the photos of Merf, this looks like a benign growth, more likely a Meibomian cyst that arises from the glands of the eyelashes. It will not obstruct his vision, but if it continues to grow it may rub on his cornea. Most of these growths, cysts warts, etc, that appear as a dog ages, seem to be a result of vaccinations. In holistic medicine, the syndrome is called 'vaccinosis'.

In some cases, they can appear due to a poor diet that contains artificial colors or preservatives. Feeding an organic diet, is good. But you could do better if you found an organic canned food or better yet, a raw diet. This is the healthiest you can feed him. And, you will notice fewer or no problems with constipation. A dry food diet is more likely to lead to constipation, dry hair, skin, and other problems that you will not see when there is enough moisture in the diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.

I suggest that you consider a gradual change from the dry food to a canned or even a raw diet for Merf. You could start with the same brand of dry food, and see if it is available in a canned form. Slowly add more and more canned food to his dry, and decrease the dry food.

When he is eating more moist food, canned and/or raw, you might try the warm compresses on the cyst again. This time, with more moisture in his diet, (and raw meat contains vitamin C to help his immune system), you may see the cyst come to a head and then drain and disappear completely.

In some cases a homeopathic remedy can be given to shrink, or decrease the appearance of new growths or cysts. And, of course, giving fewer vaccinations. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for Merf.