Growth on German Shepherd's Left Side

by Marlene
(Australia)

My 8 year old German Shepherd de-sexed male, Kaiser, has a growth on the side of his body, by the rib cage, a couple of inches down from his left front leg. It isn't bothering him at all, and he is a happy and playful boy.

It has grown a little over a period of a year. The colour of the growth/tumor is the same as his skin, and it is very soft and rubbery to touch. I have not done anything about it at this point in time.

Kaiser also has slight hip dysplasia, and his diet is a natural one, with pulverised vegetables, meat, chicken, a joint guard supplement, Ester C, omega 3 oils, plus some recommended homeopathic remedies.

Comments for Growth on German Shepherd's Left Side

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on German Shepherd's Left Side

Hi Marlene,
The photo of Kaiser's growth looks like a benign wart. If it has taken a year to grow slightly, it is certainly not malignant.

See our page on Dog Warts for more information.

"his diet is a natural one, with pulverised vegetables, meat, chicken, a joint guard supplement, Ester C, omega 3 oils, plus some recommended homeopathic remedies."

Which homeopathic remedies is he taking? Are these remedies that have been recommended by a holistic veterinarian for his hip dysplasia? Or for some other problem not mentioned?

Classical homeopathy as developed by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann is a system of medicine in which ONE homeopathic remedy is given at a time. The remedy is chosen based on the principle of "Like cures like" or the symptoms of the patient are similar to the symptoms caused by the remedy if it were given at a higher, (or more concentrated) amount.

Or perhaps, you meant to say that Kaiser is taking some recommended 'herbs'?

In any case, the appropriate homeopathic remedy for Kaiser would be one that would treat his hip dysplasia AND treat the growth on his side.

See our page on Homeopathic Treatment for Dogs.

Kaiser's homeopathic remedies
by: Marlene

In reply to your question, Dr Carol, about the homeopathic remedies I am giving Kaiser, yes they were prescribed for his hip dysplasia, and he also has one remedy which is good for removing the plaque from his teeth, which I give him daily with great success.

As I live in Australia, I am fortunate to have found a homeopath in Western Australia at "Holistic Pet Medicines", and I receive any advice and recommended remedies from her.

Kaiser is managing extremely well with his hip dysplasia, and is happy and wanting to play all the time.

Hi Marlene,
"Combination" remedies can help to 'palliate' or even suppress disease symptoms. Therefore, it may appear that the patient is better and doing well, but is actually not being 'cured'. Especially when you see a NEW symptom pop up, such as a wart like growth.

The best treatment plan for Kaiser would be for the homeopath in Western Australia at Holistic Pet Medicine to make up a single remedy for him. One that fits the totality of his symptoms: the hip dysplasia AND the wart-like growth on his side.

Instead of using a homeopathic remedy to remove plaque from his teeth, try Healthy Mouth drops in his water, Plaque Off powder in his food (from seaweed) and dental chews or tartar control treats for him to chew.

- Dog Dental Hygiene & Mouth/Gum/Teeth Problems,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Mouth, Teeth & Gums Section