Growth on dog's upper and lower eyelid

by Eva

Willow's Eye Growths

Willow's Eye Growths

Several months ago I noticed the beginning of 2 growths on my dog Willow's left eyelid (upper and lower). I took her to the local vet and they said they were some sort of wart and if it doesn't seem to be bothering her to leave it be.

A couple of months later, I noticed that it was growing so I went back to the vet and they suggested removing it - which would be a procedure requiring her to be put under, cut, etc. I do not want to subject her to that if I don't have to, so I asked if there were any alternative options. They gave me an ointment to use twice a day (Fera - Neomycin and Polymyxin Sulfates and Dexamethasone Opthalmic Ointment). I have been using that for 6 weeks now. It does not seem to be working - in fact, the growths are getting larger.

I vaccinated Willow (a 6 year old Aussie Shepherd mix) regularly until a few years ago, when I discovered that over-vaccination has become a problem according to some schools of thought.

I only vaccinate for Rabies now, and more recently, I gave her the rattlesnake vaccination due to her often being in areas where rattlesnakes are very common.

Could over-vaccinating Willow be what caused this?

Do you have any suggestions other than surgery for getting rid of her eye growths?

Thank You :)

Comments for Growth on dog's upper and lower eyelid

My Online Ver Response for: Growth on dog's upper and lower eyelid

Hi Eva,
For Willow, your 6 year old female (spayed) Australian Shepherd mix with growths on her upper and lower eyelids, you wrote, "Could over-vaccinating Willow be what caused this?"

YES! There is a syndrome in homeopathy called vaccinosis, that can lead to the development of warts, tumors, and cancers.

From the photo you submitted, it looks like Willow has either some Meibomian cysts (enlarged glands associated with the base of the eyelashes) or benign epithelial cysts. In some cases, an antibiotic with cortisone can shrink these growths/swellings. Since this has NOT helped, and may only suppress symptoms, here is what I would suggest.

1. STOP all vaccinations, including Rabies. Have a holistic veterinarian write her an exemption form.

2. Seek the help of a holistic vet, using homeopathic remedies to treat Willow for vaccinosis.

3. Willow also needs immune supplements, such as:

For the Missing Link, add 1/2 tsp to each meal two times daily.

For Immuplex, open and sprinkle one capsule in her food two times daily.

4. DIET: No more DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on < a href="http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html">10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a completely or partial RAW dog food diet for Willow.

I would also suggest a complete blood panel include a heartworm test and fecal to ensure that she is physically healthy.

Use NO TOXIC flea or tick products. See our page on natural dog flea treatment, and check out EVOLV, a natural flea/tick preventive made from cedar oil.

Willow has giardia

Hi Dr. Tillman,

Thank you for your suggestions. I had the complete blood panel including heartworm and fecal tests as you recommended. Willow's tests were normal except for giardia which came up in her fecal test. The vet explained that it is a parasite that could be removed using medication.

Do you think that giardia has anything to do with the growths on her eye and/or skin issues (described in my post about both of my dogs - Holly and Willow)? Her stools are normal.

Thank you again :)

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on dog's upper and lower eyelid

Hi Eva,
"Do you think that giardia has anything to do with the growths on her eye and/or skin issues (described in my post about both of my dogs - Holly and Willow)?"

No, not directly. It just indicates that she is not that healthy. Giardia are parasites, and most parasites are only able to find 'refuge' in a weak host. A healthy, robust individual would be able to repel them. Considering that Willow has growths/cysts on her eyelids, and some skin issues is also an indication that she needs to have her health improved.

You may choose to have her treated by conventional means, but this method will only remove the Giardia. Her overall health is not improved, and she would still be susceptible to getting them again.

A holistic veterinarian would take into account her WHOLE being. This method would address her eyelid cysts/growths, skin issues, intestinal parasites and using homeopathic remedies/supplements to improve her immune system, make her healthier, and the Giardia will clear out of her system, as EVERYTHING gets better.