Growth on Dog's Lip

by Lisa L.
(San Francisco, CA)

My dog, Willa, has a growth on her lip that seemed to show up over the last couple of weeks. I first noticed it as a smaller growth and it has grown a bit in the last week.

Willa just turned 2 on 11/23. She seems to be a healthy dog - healthy appetite, etc. One thing I've also noticed recently, she is super itchy right now - and has been biting on various parts of her body. I haven't changed her food lately ... she's on Lotus Grain-free duck formula. I know that she is super sensitive to fleas and she is currently on Sentinel chewable tabs. She used to take Trifexis, but when she was last vaccinated they offered Sentinel.

Overall, she seems to be in good health. She did have diarrhea for a night right before or when I noticed the growth for the first time. It only lasted one night.

I'm hoping this is nothing serious, but thought I should not assume it's a wart in case it is something else.

Thank you.

Lisa

Comments for Growth on Dog's Lip

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on Dog's Lip

December 7, 2014

Hi Lisa,
The photo of the growth on Willa's lip does look like a wart. She has a number of factors that might have precipitated the appearance of this wart-like growth.

Vaccinations, commercial dry food, and toxic flea preventives. For flea control see our page on 'natural' flea prevention, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-flea-medicine.html, and check out wondercide.com made from cedar oil, called EVOLV, a great alternative for a non-toxic control of fleas and ticks. For heartworm prevention, I would suggest a product like Heartgard. Which only prevents heartworm. Or try Heartgard Plus, which also to prevent hookworms and roundworms.

Vaccinations can create a syndrome, that holistic veterinarians call 'vaccinosis' in susceptible individuals, making them more prone to warts, growths, tumors, or cancer after numerous vaccines have been given. Dr Ron Schultz, a veterinary immunologist just spoke at the Western States Veterinary conference last year, on duration of immunity for vaccines for dogs and cats. He stated that one or two vaccines given to a dog or cat between 6 months to 2 years of age would give enough immunity to last the rest of their life.

Therefore, if Willa already has a growth, she should NOT have any more vaccinations. I suggest you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for her.

Rather than feeding the Lotus Grain-free duck formula, all dry. See if they make it in a canned form, and combine some dry, some canned and some raw meat together. NO RAW pork or RAW fish. See our page on 10 Best Dog food options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. With 2/3 of each meal being 'moist' (since each meal will be mostly canned and raw with only 1/3 being dry), this will help hydrate her skin decreasing her itching, and making her feel more comfortable. Not only will this help her skin, but she will be healthier all over, the Vitamin C in the raw meat will boost her immune system, and act as an anti-inflammatory, and the extra moisture will help her kidneys, joints, and the rest of her system.

Once she has overcome the itchy skin, and her diet has been adjusted, consider a homeopathic remedy to treat the wart. Usually the remedy is one that is useful for treating 'vaccinosis' also.

A holistic veterinarian can help with the homeopathic treatment.