Growth on Dog's Lip

by Maddie
(Los Angeles, CA, USA)

My dog has a sore on her lower lip that looks like a blood blister. It has been there for a month. It initially looked more red, like it was a blood blister, but the color has faded somewhat. It has not grown in size. It doesn't seem to bother her, but our previous dog went down a long road with mouth cancer, so we're more aware of anything around this dog's mouth.

She is a 8-9 year old mixed breed (she was listed as a lab mix at the pound where we adopted her, but she might have pit bull or ridgeback in her too).

We're not sure if maybe - because of how close it is to her canine tooth - she just bit down on her lip and caused a blister or sore. We're just growing concerned because she has had it for around a month (maybe a bit longer).

We haven't done anything to it (didn't try to pop it, ice it, or anything). It hasn't bled or crusted. It has remained the same in size and "puffiness" - the only thing that has changed, as mentioned before, is that it doesn't look as bloody inside.

Thank you for your help.

Comments for Growth on Dog's Lip

My Online Vet Response for Growth on Dog's Lip

Hi Maddie,
From the photo you submitted, I suspect it is a growth or small tumor on your dog's lower lip. If it had appeared due to a wound from the canine tooth, it would have been bloody, more swollen, and it would have healed in 2-3 weeks. Mast cell tumors are common in Pit bull mix breeds, as are wart-like benign growths.

I would suggest having a blood panel done first, and schedule for her to have it removed and analyzed, and get her teeth cleaned at the same time. This is not exactly a 'holistic' approach, but it would give us a baseline from which to start.

The blood panel would give us an internal check-up on how healthy she is, and having the growth sent in for histopath analysis, would tell us what it is, and if the whole growth was removed. And getting her teeth cleaned will help her too.

Then the next step would be to improve her diet, limit her vaccinations, and remove toxins from her environment (flea and tick preventives etc.). Being guided by a holistic veterinarian based on the blood panel results and biopsy report, would help her become the healthiest she can be, and prevent any more growths!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area, click here:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Warts, Cysts and Strange Growths Section,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Mouth, Teeth & Gums Section

Please help NEW
by: KAY

Hi. My 8yr old rottie developed a sore on the outer-upper part of her lip. It's maybe about the size of half of a fingernail and it has two small red dots on it. Do you have any idea what this can be? Any help or advice will be GREATLY appreciated...on a fixed income and a visit to the vet is not doable at the moment.

Thanks very much in advance.
HELIUM

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on Dog's Lip NEW

Hi Kay,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).
Please click here to sign up and submit your question and photos.

I'll then get back to you right away at the bottom of your newly created web page.

And a photo would help.

Mattie NEW

My dog has the exact same looking sore. May I ask what it turned out to be? Ty Michele

Mattie NEW

Answer NEW
by: Maddie

It ended up popping, oozing and went away. Go figure. Good luck!!!