Growth on Dog's Abdomen Next to Nipple

by Carrie
(Long Beach, CA)

My dog, QT, has a new growth that appeared on her abdomen next to her nipple. It became large in a very short period of time. It's dark and has that 'cauliflower' look, kind of bumpy...not completely smooth, but not rough either. It is kind of soft and feels like it is filled with something, but does not look like it's pus filled, nor is it seeping or bleeding.

She does not have any other symptoms. She is happy, jumping around and does not seem to be in any pain when you touch it.

She went in to see the groomer about a month ago and I was going to take her back today for a bath when I discovered it.

My sweet Chihuahua, QT, is a 14-year old female. She is an outdoor dog and I'm not sure when it first showed up, but it has to be within the last month.

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Comments for Growth on Dog's Abdomen Next to Nipple

My Online Vet Response for: Growth on Dog's Abdomen Next to Nipple

June 19, 2014

Hi Carrie,
From the photo you sent, my first impression is that this is benign growth. I am a bit concerned that it has increased in size so quickly. Although, I suspect that it is a cyst, filled with fluid. Since it is located on her underside where she lays down and 'traumatizes' it, it would stimulate the production of more fluid to act as a 'cushion'. Lucky she is a Chihuahua and not a larger breed!

I suggest you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to AVOID any more vaccinations, since I suspect this growth may be the result of 'vaccinosis'. And have an exemption form written.

You may consider also a needle aspirate to confirm that it is a cyst filled with fluid.

Although, treating her homeopathically with those remedies specific to vaccinosis will help to shrink this growth, and prevent the recurrence of any more.

Thank you for the review
by: Carrie

Thanks, Dr. Tillman, for the feedback. I will follow your advise and keep you posted. Much appreciated.